BiblioVault Web Developer
Job location: Hyde Park Campus
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2018-11-27
Department567454005 Press-Bibliovault OperationsAbout the UnitBiblioVault - new approaches to ebooks. Explore new directions and shape the future of academic reading for a secure, established employer. We're a 15-year-old not-for-profit, originally launched with Mellon Foundation funding and based at the University of Chicago Press. We develop and host a wide range of online ebook tools and fulfillment options for 100 university presses and their customers, in the US and overseas. Interesting customers, interesting products, and quick development cycles make BiblioVault a great place to see your work in action.Job Information
Responsible for contributing to technical development to support BiblioVault. Extend and strengthen functionality of its website, web services, API, and utility scripts. You will be supporing the needs of many different "clients"--its staff, 100 member publishers, and a growing community of ebook customers worldwide. These are the things that you will be working on and improving: our CMS, which is custom and written in Perl (EmbPerl). Our APIs, which use Perl/CGI on apache. Our utility scripts, which are mostly in Perl with a dash of sh. Our UI, which uses JQuery and Bootstrap. Our cloud-based ebook reader, which uses Readium as the epub rendering engine. If you are not fluent in Perl, be prepared to learn it!
We are looking for someone with experience in backend web development and who is able to learn new things and expand their abilities to support new features. The position provides a variety of areas for skill growth--if you're interested in frontend/UI work, our backend functionality is closely tied to our frontend and there are many opportunities to expand your skills in that direction. As a member of a small dev team, you will be involved in every step of our agile development cycle and will gain a breadth of experience as you help projects grow from infancy to production.
The position is based on the University of Chicago’s Hyde Park campus.
- Design and develop software and models.
- Implement functionality from specifications.
- Expand, update and modify existing site and APIs to meet new requirements.
- Work in an agile team within a collaborative environment.
- Find new uses for existing infrastructure.
- Ability to find creative solutions to odd problems and business needs.
- Ability to learn new programming languages and APIs.
- Knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures of software development.
- Ability to take a broad plan and break it into incremental tasks.
- Ability to work independently and juggle many concurrent projects.
- Ability to work in an agile development process.
Education, Experience, or Certifications:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in computer science or related field required.
- The confidence to pick up new programming languages and coding skills required.
- Fluent, open communication style – speaking, writing, collaborating required.
Technical Knowledge or Skills:
- One year of experience with a SQL database, i.e. MySQL, Postgres, Oracle, MSSQL, etc. required.
- Experience with any of the following stacks: LAMP-Perl, LAMP-PHP, LAMP-Python WAMP, MEAN, MEEN, MERN, or another "web application stack" required.
- Two+ years of experience with any of the following languages/technologies: Perl, PHP, Python, Node.js, command line scripting languages (i.e. sh) preferred.
- Two+ years of experience with a SQL database, i.e. MySQL, Postgres, Oracle, MSSQL, etc. preferred.
- One+ years of experience with any of the following stacks: Embperl, LAMP-PHP, LAMP-Perl, LAMP-Python WAMP, MEAN, MEEN, MERN, or another "web application stack"- the exact stack is less important than having experience with a web application framework preferred.
- Experience with RESTful APIs or SOAP APIs preferred.
- Experience adjusting, configuring, and hacking on Apache preferred.
- JQuery experience preferred.
- Bootstrap or CSS preprocessor experience preferred.
- Responsive web design experience preferred.
- UI experience preferred.
- UX experience preferred.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- May require some domestic travel
- Cover Letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.Benefit EligibilityYesPay FrequencyMonthlyPay RangeDepends on QualificationsScheduled Weekly Hours37.5UnionNon-UnionJob is Exempt?YesDrug Test Required?NoDoes this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?NoHealth Screen Required?NoPosting Date2018-11-27-08:00Remove from Posting On or Before2019-05-27-07:00Posting Statement:The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.