Laboratory Technician, Chemistry (Part Time)
Irvine Valley College
Laboratory Technician, Chemistry
Job Close Date: 03/22/2019
Work Schedule M/W 3:30-10:00PM and T/TH 3:00-10:00PM, schedule is subject to change based on class schedules and needs of the department
PLEASE NOTE: In order to be considered for this opening, you must apply through the District website at https://jobs.socccd.edu
Under direction from higher level administrative or full-time academic staff, assists in the preparation of materials and demonstrations for chemistry lab instruction; operates and demonstrates use of specialized equipment, supplies, and materials; and maintains the general cleanliness of the chemistry stockroom and laboratories.
Positions in the Lab Technician, Chemistry class are distinguished from the Senior Lab Technician, Chemistry by the level of responsibility assumed. In comparison to the Senior Lab Technician, Chemistry, positions at this level are assigned tasks with limited to no involvement in budget activities and ordering of supplies and equipment. Employees at this level are required to be fully trained in all procedures related to assigned area of responsibility and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit.
• Operational characteristics of laboratory apparatus, equipment, and materials pertaining to chemistry laboratories.
• Theories and applications of chemistry.
• Principles and practices of chemistry laboratory operations.
• Proper methods of storing equipment, materials, chemicals, and supplies used within the chemistry laboratory.
• Mathematical principles and scientific concepts.
• Methods and techniques used in handling and disposing of hazardous chemicals.
• Proper methods of handling and storing equipment, materials, chemicals, and supplies used within the chemistry laboratories.
• Principles and procedures of record keeping and filing.
• Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
• Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
• Assist in the preparation of instructional materials and demonstrations for chemistry laboratory instruction.
• Correctly and efficiently set up chemistry laboratory equipment and materials used in exercises and experiments.
• Operate and demonstrate the proper use of specialized equipment, supplies, and materials.
• Provide assistance to students on matters related to chemistry laboratories.
• Safely mix and dispense solutions for chemistry lab experiments.
• Properly store and dispose of hazardous chemicals and materials.
• Operate, understand the mechanical function of, and perform routine maintenance and repairs on laboratory equipment within assigned area.
• Maintain the cleanliness of the chemistry stockroom and laboratories.
• Interpret and apply department policies, procedures, rules, and regulations.
• Ensure adherence to safe work practices and procedures.
• Maintain an adequate inventory of materials for chemistry instructional programs.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience Guidelines:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
Equivalent to two years of college level course work in chemistry or a related field.
Two years of increasingly responsible chemistry laboratory experience.
Please visit the District’s Employment Opportunities website at https://jobs.socccd.edu for a detailed job description, to learn more about the District and to complete an on-line application.
NOTICE TO ALL CANDIDATES FOR EMPLOYMENT: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Public Law 99-603, requires that employers obtain documentation from every new employee which authorizes that individual to accept employment in this country. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER