Job location: Worcester
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-07-10
JOB TITLEComputational ScientistLOCATIONWorcesterDEPARTMENT NAMEInformation technology DepartmentDIVISION NAMEWorcester Polytechnic Institute - WPIJOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARYAcademic and Research Computing group (ARC) is seeking a talented and skilled individual to join our team as a Computational Scientist. The Computational Scientist will join a great team consisting of application scientists, Data Scientist and Systems Integrators. The Computational Scientist will have a great opportunity to work with world class faculty and students across all disciplines and have access to a state of the art compute environment.JOB DESCRIPTION
- Under the supervision of the Director of Research Computing, the Computational Scientist will provide hardware and software support for high-performance computing systems, large scale simulations and data analysis in many disciplines.
- Maintain the software portfolio on different super computing systems including installation/compilation and documentation of community applications, third-party software and libraries as needed
- Help Faculty and Students to develop, debug, install, modify and support application codes and libraries.
- Perform system integration and testing to ensure installed systems meet faculty requirements. Provide expert diagnosis of system incidents and anomalies required.
- Develop and maintain web-based training modules and support materials.
- Assist users to install, configure and/or script scientific tools and applications, understanding and guiding work and data flows for their analysis.
- Work with other IT training staff to coordinate resources and offer more comprehensive approach to training.
- Work and participate with faculty in proposals to obtain funding to complement the support of these education activities.
- Other related duties as required.
- MS in a Computational Science/Engineering, Bioinformatics or equivalent experience in biomedical research. Ph.D. preferred
- Programming in major languages e.g. C/C++, Python, Fortran, etc.
- Linux/Unix systems knowledge
- Scripting in bash, PERL, etc.
- Code building, profiling and performance tuning
- Knowledge of scalable parallel programming (MPI, etc.), GPU programming (CUDA) and programming for multi-core architectures.
- The ability to communicate and understand complex requirements of scientists or engineers and to work closely with other team members in the development and tuning of effective solutions will be essential
- Highly effective written and oral communication skills. Ability and strong desire to teach users effective use of applications in support of the academic mission of the university.