Chief Privacy Officer
Chief Privacy Officer
Job Number: 82172
Job Code: 2376
Job Level: O
Chief Privacy Officer
Stanford University, one of the world's preeminent institutions of higher education, seeks a seasoned, innovative leader to serve as the University's Chief Privacy Officer (CPO). This is a unique opportunity to work in a truly entrepreneurial academic community to steer and enhance an effective privacy program, and, in turn, advance Stanford's leadership presence in this realm.
Reporting to the Senior Associate Vice President and Chief Risk Officer (CRO), the CPO will provide proactive direction, guidance, and support to administration, faculty, and staff in all aspects of privacy for the University. S/he will ensure the protection of information entrusted to the University related to students, faculty, administration and staff, research participants, and other key constituents.
The CPO is an expert on privacy matters related to large complex, customer-oriented, research-intensive organizations entrusted with large volumes of sensitive, confidential data of a critical nature to the enterprise and its constituents. S/he is an exceptional leader, digitally proficient with sound business judgment, who can set the strategy, navigate the complex and changing landscape of regulatory compliance, and innovate to drive a world class privacy platform that is a fundamental institutional value and priority.
While managing the organizational risk associated with privacy, the successful hire will enable innovation and discovery related to data. The CPO will be expected to: ensure all aspects of privacy are protected across the University while promoting academic freedom and enabling innovation; cultivate and leverage robust collaborations with key partners on campus and across the Stanford ecosystem; increase awareness and proficiency around privacy issues that reduce risk and infractions; build, mentor, and develop the Privacy team; and represent Stanford effectively in external venues.
- Identify and develop initiatives to prevent, detect, and respond to internal and external privacy risks through the construction and maintenance of a comprehensive privacy plan, policies and procedures, annual auditing and monitoring plans, and privacy education and training for Stanford University
- Establish and maintain practices to protect personal and institutional confidential data
- Stay current and being proactive in the dynamic regulatory environment
- Train and provide guidance to faculty, staff, and students
- Investigate and response to privacy incidents
- Work in tandem with Stanford Hospitals and coordination with School of Medicine
- Partner with and leverage the Office of the General Counsel (OGC)
- Support board communications
- Coordinate with Information Security office
- A bachelor's degree is required. JD or master's degree in business or related field preferred. Certification in Information Privacy Professional is ideal, but not required.
- Ten or more years of increasingly responsible privacy management experience in a large research university, academic medical center, or other relevant complex organization. Digital proficiency, sound business judgment, and an understanding of privacy in healthcare are critical. Success operationalizing a privacy program is ideal.
- Ability to understand, research, analyze, interpret, and apply complex federal, state, and international privacy laws, rules, regulations, and guidelines and the constantly changing risk profiles and evolution.
- Demonstrated success in training and educating a range of stakeholders on a comprehensive privacy plan as well as active and appropriate responses to different incidents and investigations.
- A thorough understanding of industry best practices in privacy and demonstrated success in strategic planning, program evaluation, and improvement to create and implement a vision for privacy operations.
- Ability to foster a culture that encourages awareness of privacy and ensures compliance with established policies and procedures across campus.
- Dedication to treating both internal and external constituents as clients, maintaining a flexible customer service approach and orientation that emphasizes service satisfaction and quality.
- Demonstrated ability to build successful relationships with a wide range of staff across a complex organization while maintaining the ability to be decisive and forthright in a consensus-driven environment.
- Strengths as a team leader in hiring, developing and managing a high-producing team of privacy experts.
- Excellent project management skills to effectively manage multiple ongoing projects and coordinate activities between the University and Hospitals. Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Superb interpersonal communication and presentation skills to clearly articulate developments in privacy laws, regulations, and compliance across the organization.
- Driven by metrics and outcomes with success implementing evidence-based changes.
- The ability to passionately model and demonstrate consistently high standards of professional ethics, integrity, and trust embodied in the values, philosophy, mission, and vision of Stanford University.
- Experience with academic research and HIPAA strongly preferred; Knowledge of FERPA a plus.
- Presence in national privacy organizations a plus.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Location: Business Affairs, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency