Provost/Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs
Working Title:Provost/Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs Department:Office of the President Division:President Campus:Oxford Posting Date:02/27/2019 Job Category:Staff Position Group:Unclassified Job Description Summary:
Job ID: 6871 - FT - Unclassified (salaried)
Miami University seeks a strategic and innovative provost and executive vice president for academic affairs to lead the university’s efforts to strengthen its image as a nationally-recognized, student-centered public research university. This collegial leader will serve as a vital member of the president’s executive cabinet by partnering with campus administration in sustaining its academic enterprise through community engagement, diversity, and inclusion, as well as, the advancement of cutting-edge research and practice. The provost will provide exceptional oversight of a breadth of academic disciplines, centers, institutes, committees, and councils. This individual will also lead and advocate for 1152 full-time instructional faculty and a staff of more than 420 and oversees a budget of approximately $280M.
Reporting directly to President Gregory Crawford, Ph.D., the provost and executive vice president for academic affairs is the chief academic officer. The provost is expected to be the academic and scholarly leader of the university, with ultimate responsibility for all academic programs, operations, and initiatives, and to manage a significant part of the academic budget. The provost has primary oversight of all academic operations of the university, including faculty promotion and tenure, administrative structures of colleges, centers, and the Regionals.
The provost also will be responsible for the creation and implementation of programs consonant with the university's strategic plan to be launched in July 2019. The provost will draw upon the highly collaborative nature of the Miami University campus to guide the schools and colleges to execute the strategic plan. The provost will be responsible for the appointment and evaluation of all direct reports.
Miami seeks to enhance student performance, the standing of scholarly programs in their respective communities, and the acquisition of external support for these programs. In addition, the provost will be responsible for working with the senior vice president for finance, associate provost for research, and senior vice president for advancement to develop a collaborative vision for the academic and research enterprise of the university, to advance Miami’s funding, and to enhance the research profile nationally, especially where undergraduates are involved. The provost also will be expected to work closely with the senior vice president for enrollment management and student success to enhance classroom quality and Miami’s national reputation for undergraduate education.
The provost oversees an office budget of $13M and a number of dedicated and hardworking individuals. Direct reports to the provost currently include:
- Two Associate Provosts
- Dean of the College of Arts and Science
- Dean of the Farmer School of Business
- Dean of the College of Engineering and Computing
- Dean of the College of Education, Health, and Society
- Dean of the College of Creative Arts
- Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Applied Science/Associate Provost (Hamilton and Middletown Campuses)
- Dean of the Graduate School
- Dean of the Libraries
- Four Assistant Provosts for Academic Personnel, Budget and Analysis, Global Initiatives, and Intuitional Research and Effectiveness
- Academic personnel of the Center for Teaching Excellence, E-Learning, Global Initiatives, and Undergraduate Education:
- Center for American and World Cultures
- The Confucius Institute,
- Continuing Education
- Education Abroad and International Students and Scholars
- University Honors Programs
- Howe Center for Writing Excellence
- Office for the Advancement of Research and Scholarship
- Director of the Myaamia Center
- Office of Institutional Research
- a minimum of ten years’ substantial, successful leadership experience;
- an earned terminal degree, and an outstanding record in education and research commensurate with the appointment to the rank of full professor with tenure;
- a career progression that has prepared them for a position of this scope, complexity, and scale.
- high integrity and superb judgment and an ability to exemplify fairness, empathy, and responsiveness;
- credibility and trustworthiness, with a capacity to set high standards and empower others;
- exceptional budgetary and financial management skills;
- experience as a distinguished teacher-scholar;
- the ability to communicate effectively with the many constituencies whose contributions are required for the success of the university including but not limited to administrators, faculty, Board members, alumni, donors, students, and community partners;
- a commitment to inclusive excellence and ability to ensure a welcoming and nurturing environment for a diverse community of faculty, staff, and students, and a track record of leadership in this arena;
- the ability to set high standards for faculty and willingness to communicate those standards with exceptional clarity;
- a broad and transdisciplinary thinker, not only in leadership but also in past scholarship and teaching that demonstrates acumen for crossing boundaries;
- an entrepreneurial spirit, creativity, and the agility to bring new ideas to fruition in a timely fashion;
- a proven ability to move new programs through a multitude of governance processes on campus and within state administration;
- an ability to lead a community with sensitivity through a time of significant growth and change;
- experience in fundraising, preferably with experience in government grants and foundation, corporate, and philanthropic gifts.
Miami University is assisted in this search by Storbeck, Pimentel, and Associates. To learn more about the search, please visit:
Mr. Tom Fitch, Partner
Ms. Amanda Bennett, Sr. Associate
Storbeck/ Pimentel & Associates, LP
Email: [email protected]
Duration:12 Months Temporary:No Benefit Eligible:Yes Required Documents:Cover Letter, List of Three References, Resume Criminal Background Check Required:Yes Post Offer, Pre-Employment Physical Examination:No