Assistant Professor of Art History
Assistant Professor of Art History
ACH Posting 42352
The Department of Art at the University of West Georgia is seeking a generalist for an Assistant Professor tenure-track position within Art History. The successful candidate will hold a PhD in art history and demonstrate evidence for excellence in teaching and research.
The University of West Georgia is located 45 minutes west of Atlanta.
The Department of Art is a thriving NASAD-accredited department, with 300+ majors in nine concentrations and 18 full-time faculty, offering both the BA-ART (Art History and Studio) and BFA-ART degrees.
- Teach art history survey to undergraduate art and non-art majors and a range of Art History courses for studio and art history majors and minors. Candidates must have the ability to teach a diverse range of courses within our curriculum, including contributions in Non-Western courses.
- Capability to cover aspects of the traditional Western canon, modern and contemporary topics, museum seminar, and non-western art history.
- Other assignments may include art appreciation, oral communication in the visual arts, and interdisciplinary classes.
- Work with all art faculty to further develop the Art History Program.
- Engage in creative/scholarly research and professional development, advising students, and service to department, college, and university.
Preference will be given to candidates with expertise in Non-Western and/or African art history and experience/interest in writing-intensive courses. Strong preference will be given to candidates with teaching experience beyond the doctoral program. Experience with domestic and international travel planning and budgeting is a plus.
Qualified applicants, please submit a letter of interest, CV, contact information for three references, statement of teaching philosophy, sample syllabi, copies of research publications, and hard copies of graduate and undergraduate transcripts to Eilis Crean-Wojcik, [email protected] Digital submissions are welcome but final submissions must be accompanied by hard copies mailed directly to the Department of Art. Please submit files in an email as one pdf. Send hard copy submissions to: Art History Search Committee, Department of Art, University of West Georgia, 1601 Maple St. Carrollton, GA 30118. Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled.
It is the policy of the University of West Georgia to follow federal law in regards to affirmative action and equal opportunity. The University of West Georgia’s affirmative action program and related policies are developed in compliance with Executive Orders 11246 and 11375, as amended; Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Sections 503 & 504) and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (Title II) and their implementing regulations; the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967; and the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, as it amends 38 U.S.C. 4212.
Please be advised that should you be recommended for a position, University System of Georgia Board of Regents policy requires the completion of a background check as a prior condition of employment.
UWG is a qualifying employer under the Department of Education Public Service Loan Forgiveness program (PSLF). This program provides student loan repayment and forgiveness for qualifying loans for eligible full-time employees. See https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more information.
UWG’s Department of Art is an accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). https://www.westga.edu/academics/coah/art/index.php