The successful candidate will perform skilled work in set up and operation of all standard metal working machine power tools, hand power tools, and hand tools to shape, fabricate, and install mechanical parts or assemblies. Routinely works independently and shows good judgment with approach to complex setups and operations. Organizes own work schedule and operates with no direct supervision or input on day-today machining tasks. Develops, constructs, and repairs experimental/scientific equipment with an appropriate level of precision. This may include translating ideas originated by scientists/engineers/students into informally designed working models. The position requires the use of considerable inventiveness, structural visualization, and creative ability. Works and effectively communicates with co-workers and immediate supervisor. Performs other related job duties as requested by immediate and higher level supervisors.
Manual and CNC Machine Operation
- Operate manual lathes and mills.
- Ability to select the proper tooling, speeds and feeds for appropriate material removal rates on complex, tight tolerance (+/- 0.0005) components.
- Understand the properties and skillfully work engineering materials including ferrous and non-ferrous alloys, as well as plastics, wood, and epoxy resins.
- Finish above mentioned materials to micro-tolerances where required.
- Develop and produce appropriate fixtures to ensure stable platform for machining operations.
- Proficient with basic and advanced inspection equipment (calipers, micrometers, dial indicators, etc.)
- Program, operate and maintain CNC lathes and Machine Centers with up to 4 axes.
- Develop programs for various machines with knowledge of “G code”
- Import or create geometry within CAD/MasterCAM for generating complex 3-D surface toolpaths.
- Utilize conversational programming at the machine for the production of corner radii, slots, drill cycles, and thread milling operations.
- Setting tool registers, offsets, compensation, and conditional switches; editing post processor scripts, calculating requirements through the use of basic math, geometry and trigonometry.
Prototype Design and Fabrication
- Work closely with university faculty, staff and students to fabricate unique parts and equipment.
- Recommend material and design changes when appropriate/necessary.
- Design and constructs machinery, tooling, special fixtures and prints using verbal
orders, sketches, blueprints, and machine drawings.
- Utilize welding and cutting equipment (arc welding, inert gas arc welding, automatic wire fed welding, acetylene welding/cutting, and brazing, CNC plasma).
- Familiar with basic electrical power and industrial controls for maintenance and
- Reviewing CAD models, offering DFM advice on materials, tolerances, and features as well as mechanism design.
- Provide instruction/training to students/associates regarding the safe and basic-level operational
techniques for machining equipment.
- Demonstrate excellent housekeeping practices within the work space.
- Comply with applicable health and safety programs, reinforce continuous improvement
- Able to build effective working relationships with employees at all levels of the facility and work effectively as a team member.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Read and interpret prints and proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Docs and other
Occasional nights and weekend work may be required.Minimum Qualifications:
Experience, and Skills
High School Diploma or equivalent. Demonstrate Mechanical Aptitude.
5 years of experience in machine trades.Preferred Qualifications:
Experience, and Skills
Associate degree in related field with Journeyman certificate in machine trades
10 years of experience in machine trades.Physical Demands
Must be able to lift and position fixtures and tooling weighing 50 lbs.
The physical demands characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Clarkson is committed to complying with the guidelines set forth under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Occasional nights and weekend work may be required.
This is a machinist position and will require successful drug test results.
Clarkson University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
All offers of employment are subject to the applicant successfully passing a background check (including, but not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, and criminal records).Reference Request Details Maximum Number of Reference Requests 3 Minimum Number of Reference Requests 1 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Academic Keys
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Clarkson Website
- Massena-Potsdam Courier Observer
- Hispanic Outlook
- IM Diversity
- Insight Into Diversity
- New York Job Bank
- North Country This Week
- St. Lawrence Plaindealer
- Veterans Administration
- Watertown Daily Times
- Ogdensburg Journal
- Employee Referral
- Alumni Referral
- Conference Referral
- Discipline specific journals
- Discipline specific website
- Times Union
- I do not wish to answer
- * What is the highest level of completed education that you currently hold?
- Highschool Diploma/GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- ABD (all but disertation)
- * Are you willing to work occasional weekends and evenings?
- * How do you embrace Diversity?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter