Deans and Faculty Positions
The American University in Vietnam (AUV; http://www.auv.edu.vn) is a new and innovative private university located in Da Nang, Vietnam. This is the first American style university providing students an innovative liberal arts curricula instructed by an international faculty with pathways to American University short-term experiences, concurrent degrees and graduate programs in America or completing these in Vietnam. The university invites applications for two senior positions, Dean of Health Sciences and Dean of Aviation, and several faculty positions who will continue to advance the institution to its full potential. Launched in 2017, The American University in Vietnam is a distinctive University providing American higher education for students in Vietnam and beyond. AUV is ideal for those who thrive in an active-project based instruction and curricular approach delivered by a strong interdisciplinary faculty. The small-class and experiential learning format prepares students for careers through direct linkages with industry and government employers. The AUV curricula is designed following an American interdisciplinary liberal arts format instructed in English. Before students begin their majors, they must first demonstrate proficiency in communication and presentation skills, critical thinking and analytical skills through an integrated and comprehensive general curricula in natural sciences, math and statistics, data analytics, visual and performing arts, humanities, and social sciences with a culminating capstone experience. Our students have unique opportunities to experience transnational university life in Vietnam and the U.S. through a growing number of partnership programs with some of the top American universities, including: Arizona State University, Virginia Commonwealth University, University of Missouri, and others. Students can complete short-term study abroad programs or can complete their studies through 2+2, 3+1 partner programs for undergraduate degrees and 2+3 and 4+1 program collaborations at the graduate level. AUV is distinctive in many ways as reflected in the values its faculty upholds in the process of educating future professionals, entrepreneurs, artists, executives, and leaders. Our distinction is embedded in our mission, in our values, and in our faculty’s academic focus.
Campus and Surrounding Community:
The American University is located on the Central Coast to the East with beautiful mountains to the West and North surrounding the city. Da Nang is the fifth largest city in Vietnam with approximately one million residents. Da Nang brings a warm and friendly culture with beautiful sandy beaches, mountains, and historical sites such as the Hoi An Ancient City. This is one of the most important ports in the country and has a growing tourism, high-technology, and finance sector growth providing students and faculty opportunities for research and scholarship. The AUV campus is designed with a French Architectural design with a natural setting of trees, streams and ponds providing a relaxing and comfortable environment for students. New dorms and athletic fields and facilities are in the planning and construction phase to provide students a unique residential environment. The campus is a short ride to the beaches or downtown to the city center of Da Nang City.
Dean Positions: Dean of Business, Dean of Aviation, and Dean of Health Sciences
The Dean reports to the Provost and has responsibility for the overall excellence and vitality of the School/College's academic programs. This senior officer will:
• Actively participate in the recruitment and development of talented and diverse faculty and staff who are invested in the University's mission and its students.
• Actively participate in the recruitment of academically talented and diverse undergraduate students and promote programs that contribute to students' overall success and retention. • Promote academic excellence and innovation by supporting academic rigor, trans-curricular learning, global engagement and technological innovation.
• Inspire and collaborate with faculty and other University leaders to enhance the university's academic programs, its internationalization and diversity, its programs promoting learning beyond the classroom (including undergraduate research and service learning), its living and learning residential communities, and its pedagogical and technological innovation.
• Identify new support opportunities for faculty scholarship, creative activity and funded research.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
The successful candidate for the Dean position must have:
• Effective administrative experience in higher education that includes academic program development and instruction, research and scholarly activity, budgeting and resource development. • Strong interpersonal and communication skills and decision-making abilities that enable engagement and interaction with the various constituencies.
• A commitment to promoting excellence and diversity in the recruitment, retention, and development of students, faculty, and staff. • A significant record of full-time collegiate teaching experience, research and service commensurate with the attainment of senior academic rank in a higher education institution.
• Demonstrated experience in academic program assessment and the development and implementation of continuous improvement strategies. Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements: • A Ph.D. or other terminal degree from a regionally accredited college or university and a strong record of progressively responsible administrative experience in senior academic leadership roles at regionally accredited higher education institutions are required. The candidate must have a distinguished record of teaching, scholarship, service, and student engagement that would qualify the individual to be appointed to the rank of Professor.
• Extensive expertise in program and curriculum development, program review and enhancement, continuous quality improvement processes, and budget and fiscal management is required. Candidates should have a broad knowledge of the accreditation process.
AUV invites applications for several faculty positions over the next two years at the assistant, associate, and full professor rank in general education (e.g. history, sociology, economics, mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology) and specialized disciplines including computer science, information technology, engineering (industrial, civil, mechanical, electrical and aerospace), media communications, international business management, nursing, public health, food science and nutrition, aviation, tourism development and hospitality management, and environmental sciences. A Ph.D. degree from a regionally accredited American college or national university is preferred, particularly for Science and Technology areas. Candidates with M.S., M.A., or MBA degree with significant teaching experience at higher education institutions in the United States are also considered for suitable positions in business and some general education areas.
Interested candidates should submit a single PDF that includes cover letter describing academic accomplishments and summary of interests, curriculum vitae with references, and unofficial transcripts. The file name should include “Last name-position of interest”. Applications will be continually reviewed beginning April 1, 2019 until all the positions are filled. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.