Clinical Social Worker, LCSW - Inpatient Adult Psych
Job location: Medical Center (Charlottesville, VA)
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-01-07
Clinical Social Worker is responsible for conducting face to face sessions with patients in order to complete thorough assessments develop treatment plans and provide supportive counseling crisis intervention and brief therapy. Provides clinical services (caseload can consist of inpatients as well as family members on an individual couples and family basis). Responsible for serving populations with a variety of clinical needs particularly psychological stress related to health impairments chronic illness trauma death and dying marriage and family dysfunction as well as substance abuse. Works with victims of intimate partner violence abuse or exploitation and facilitate the identification and implementation of healthy boundaries and effective communication techniques. Works with patients and team members in an effort to maximize patients’ potential for the healthiest coping responses to their challenging situation including timely and safe discharge plans. Based on overall assessment and summary of patients and family needs makes appropriate community referrals for follow up as needed. Serves as a liaison between the medical staff and the patient/family and provide interventions designed to minimize patient stress and maximize coping skills to expedite recovery. Collaborates with all team members to maximize discharge planning and patient progression. Supervises bachelors and masters level students and acts as a liaison to the community through public speaking. Participates in clinical training and supervision as needed.
- Provides direct social work service to patients and families and/or groups of patients by providing assistance with social and practical environmental problems.
- Provides emotional support to patients and families and/or groups of patients who may exhibit feelings of anxiety and stress precipitated by illness and hospitalization.
- Conducts interventions based on needs identified during initial assessment.
- Advocates for patient and family wishes when appropriate.
- Provides emotional support to patient and family during hospitalization.
- Educates patient and family on the intent of the intervention as needed.
- Inform care team patient and family of anticipated post-discharge needs.
- Maintains acceptable working knowledge of resources needed to provide patients with continuity of care before and after discharge.
- Participates in in-service and staff development activities by attendance serving on planning committees and/or offering topics for pertinent educational programs.
- Documents all activities relevant to casework discharge planning and follow-up in accordance with UVA and Social Work Policy Procedure and Guidelines and regulatory requirements
- Participates in education/research activities.
- Acts as liaison between the hospital and outside agencies/legal authorities and referral sources.
- Acts as therapist in daily therapy sessions and provides individual counseling/problem solving sessions as needed.
In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Education: Master’s degree in Social Work from a CSWE accredited social work program required
Experience: 3 years’ experience post master’s required.
Licensure: Licensed to practice as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker in the Commonwealth of Virginia (LCSW) or applicants with an active license from another state must obtain Virginia LCSW within 18 months of hire date.
Job requires sitting for prolonged periods, standing/walking or use of assistive and climbing (stairs, steps). Proficient communicative, auditory and visual skills; Attention to detail, hear, speak, see, distinguish colors, read, ability to write legibly; Ability to lift/push/pull < 20lbs. May be exposed to chemicals, blood/body fluids and infectious disease.The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.