Surgical Technologist Certified - Spine, Operating Room OR
Job location: Medical Center (Charlottesville, VA)
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-05-25
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to maintaining the sterile field, anticipating the needs of the surgical team and being constantly vigilant to adherence of aseptic technique by all team members under the supervision of a Registered Nurse.
- Demonstrates basic surgical case preparation by organizing and prioritizing patient care preparation in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team under the direction of the circulating nurse.
- Differentiates between sterile and unsterile items processed by various sterilization methods.
- Demonstrates principles of aseptic technique and sterile conscience.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of surgical procedures.
- Demonstrates awareness of environmental safety practices for patient self and team at all times.
- Supports operating room procedures.
- Interfaces effectively with peers and customers and assumes responsibility for professional development of self and others per departmental policy.
- Demonstrates leadership in the delivery of technical patient care.
In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Education: High School Graduate or Equivalent and graduate required. Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technologist Training Program, graduate of an LPN program or graduate of an equivalent military training program required.
Experience: No experience required.
Licensure: Certified to practice as a Surgical Technologist by NBSTSA (The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting) or NCCT (The National Center for Competency Testing) required. American Heart Association (AHA) Health Care Provider BLS certification required.
Job requires standing for prolonged periods, frequently bending/stooping, reaching (overhead, extensive, and repetitive); Repetitive motion: computer keyboard. Proficient communicative, auditory and visual skills; Attention to detail and ability to write legibly; Ability to lift/push/pull 50 - 100lbs. May be exposed to noise, radiation, radioactive materials, blood/body fluids and infectious disease.The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.