College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences - Associate Dean, Academic Program...
Associate Dean, Office of Academic Programs
College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
WE TRANSFORM LIVES.
Everything the College of ACES does is designed to improve the quality of life of the people in the state of Illinois, across the nation, and around the world. We discover, develop, translate, and disseminate knowledge to address societal concerns and train the next generation of experts and leaders.
Be a part of our story. The Office of Academic Programs coordinates student recruitment, admissions, scholarships, student records, career services, study-abroad programs, diversity initiatives, and student honors programs. We offer tremendous opportunities and hands-on academics for students to achieve their goals and prepare for local, national, and global careers.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
The Associate Dean of Academic Programs will provide creative leadership, vision and administrative oversight to promote excellence, student success and enrichment experiences, increase enrollment and student retention, and expand diversity across departments and curricula within the College. The Associate Dean of Academic Programs reports to the Dean and works closely with the Associate Deans of Extension, International Programs and Research; department heads; Assistant Dean for Advancement; and Assistant Dean of Marketing Communications to facilitate, develop, elevate, and manage an effective and dynamic Office of Academic Programs for the College of ACES. The position carries 100% administrative responsibilities.
Specifically, the Associate Dean of Academic Programs will:
- Provide visionary leadership and strategic planning for undergraduate admissions practices, recruitment, scholarships, orientation, advising, student records, honors programs, study abroad opportunities, co-curricular activities, undergraduate research activities, and career advising and placement;
- Build relationships and partnerships with internal and external constituents to develop projects, generate funding, and expand the impact and visibility of ACES;
- Serve as the liaison to the Graduate College on matters of academic policy and programs concerning graduate students;
- Provide leadership of programs to recognize excellence in teaching and to provide teaching improvement opportunities for faculty, instructors, and teaching assistants through the ACES Academy of Teaching Excellence and teaching improvement workshops;
- Foster a diverse and inclusive atmosphere for learning and development through supported student programs, initiatives, and visionary leadership;
- Work with the Office of Advancement to develop and steward gifts to support scholarship and research programs;
- Engage cooperatively with the Office of International Programs on student-focused international engagement;
- Manage budget and personnel in the Office of Academic Programs; and
- Participate as a member of the ACES Executive Administrative Team in college-level decision making, serve in an advisory capacity to the dean concerning resource allocation, promotion and tenure, sabbatical leave, strategic planning, program prioritization, responses to university level request and initiatives, and create and manage college-level initiatives.
All candidates must hold a Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree in a relevant field complementary with a department in the College of ACES. Candidates must have demonstrative experience with student recruitment and/or student engagement and in instruction with a demonstrated commitment to student success and excellence. Candidates must be qualified for a tenured appointment at the rank of full professor. The position requires demonstrated leadership in the candidate’s respective disciplines, dedication to serving students, and strong interpersonal and communication skills. Understanding of the scholarship of teaching and learning is necessary. Experience in managing budgets and administrative or leadership experience in educational programs is essential.
Desired qualifications include involvement in national and international professional organizations, appreciation of the broad mission of a land-grant university and acknowledgement of the importance of each of the diverse disciplines represented by ACES programs.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY, COLLEGE, DEPARTMENT
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign campus has a student enrollment of over 40,000, and nearly 2,000 faculty members. The university is located about 120 miles south of Chicago, within easy driving distance of St. Louis and Indianapolis. Our vibrant and diverse community of 110,000 offers the residential advantages of a medium-sized university city, excellent cultural opportunities, and a high quality of life.
The College of ACES, home to seven academic departments, is recognized worldwide for its commitment to excellence in undergraduate and graduate programs, teaching, research, outreach, and international programs. ACES research programs are making a difference in people’s lives. Our research and education centers, located throughout the state, provide vital testing grounds where research can generate practical applications that benefit consumers, farmers, commodity groups, agricultural organizations, environmentalists, conservationists, government agencies, industry, and business. University of Illinois Extension connects the university to people, businesses, and communities statewide to help solve problems, develop skills, and build a better future. ACES faculty and staff are leaders in international engagement, addressing global challenges and impacting lives around the world.
The Associate Dean will be located in Urbana, Illinois on the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus. This is a full-time administrative position with responsibility for leading college-wide academic programs.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
PROPOSED START DATE
As soon after July 2019 as a suitable candidate is identified and available.
To ensure full consideration, candidates should apply by Monday, March 25, 2019. Candidates may be interviewed before March 25, however no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of application/interest, curriculum vita and contact information for three (3) professional references (include name, title, address, phone, fax, email) by close of business on Monday, March 25, 2019. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be given full consideration.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. All appointments require Board of Trustees approval.
For additional information or discussion, please contact Dr. Shelly Nickols-Richardson, Search Committee Chair via e-mail ([email protected]).
For technical assistance with the online application process, call 217-333-6747 or email [email protected] illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit:ACES Category:1-Faculty Title:College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences - Associate Dean, Academic Programs (110045) Open Date:02/25/2019 Close Date:03/25/2019 Organization Name:Academic Programs