Youth Programming Teaching Assistant - NYC and vicinity
Job location: NY New York City
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2019-01-07
The Youth Program Teacher Assistant supports Generation Code instructors (either an in-person instructor or an
e-instructor from Generation Code’s online learning platform) as they teach programming classes to kids and teens. This role is responsible for supporting the delivery of the curriculum, providing classroom management support, and one-on-one or small group instruction.
Support business development opportunities such as demo or trial lessons, showcases, and parent programs
- Instructional and classroom management support of the instructor or e-instructor
- Guiding students through the online platform
- Providing students with activity and project support
- Complete classroom management training
- Provide small group and individualized instruction
- Be an active advocate for the program and the schools
- Communicate effectively with children, parents, and all staff
- Serve as a keyholder to open or close the Generation Code Lab as needed
- AA degree required or the successful completion of a coding boot camp or certified training.
- 3 months experience as a front-end developer OR equivalent experience.
- Experience working with youth (i.e. advising, mentoring, tutoring, babysitting, etc.)
- Willingness to learn and upskill in new content and curriculum
- Strong communication skills
- Must enjoy working with kids and teens and enthusiastically engage the students.
- This position is based at the Generation Code Lab in Vienna, Virginia with occasional off-site opportunities at school and community-based sites throughout DC, Maryland, and Virginia
- This is a part time job that requires a minimum 3 month commitment
- Programs are scheduled at a range of times throughout the day in a variety of settings, so scheduling has some flexibility
- Hours are typically late afternoon and evenings during the weekday and/or Saturday mornings and afternoons
- Potential for additional hours during seasonal camps, teacher workdays, adult workshops, and curriculum development initiatives
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete our application process, please contact our Human Resources Department at [email protected]