Apt/Dean of Residence Life GRA
Position: Apt/Dean of Residence Life GRA Location: Wheaton, IL
Job Id: 323 # of Openings: 1 Residence Life and Dean of Residence Life
Graduate Resident Adviser (GRA)This is a Part-time graduate student position Responsibilities:Under the direction of the Residence Director of Apartments & Houses and the Dean of Residence Life, this GRA position is a part-time graduate student who lives in an on-campus apartment. Within the Residence Life Department, this person has the responsibility for the supervision of students within his/her designated apartments/houses as well as the management of the facility. Working with the Dean of Residence Life, this person works primarily with issues regarding male sexuality and pornography. This work occurs in two key ways: reactively supporting men on campus through one-on-one meetings, and proactively by supporting two student leaders in the Chaplain’s office who run the Stronghold’s (sexual purity) program. Duties pertaining to Residence Life (10 hours per week):
- Participate in the 1st yr GRA Student Development class (Organization and Administration of Student Affairs) in July 2019.
- Support and foster community within an upper-class student context that manifests itself through caring relationships, service to others as well as mutual encouragement and accountability
- Advise students who have concerns, making referrals to other campus resources as appropriate and facilitating conflict mediation when necessary.
- Schedule concentrated relationship-building time one night per week, which should include periodic events to get students together. Visit each apartment/house at least once per semester to demonstrate friendly and visible care for students.
- Prepare for the opening of the school year by physically checking that each apartment/house is prepared.
- Conduct check-ins and check-outs for residents. Meet weekly both with the RD and with the RD/GRA team for training, advising, and support.Assist Dean of Residence Life in communicating and enforcing College and Residence Life policies.Assist Director of Student Care with managing student care issues as needed.
- Communicate and facilitate all work requests within two days of request.
- Manage cleanliness of laundry facilities, community areas and storage spaces in the apartment building.
- Be available for lock out assistance and emergency responses for entire apartment and house community, one day every other week and 2-3 weekends per semester.
- Conduct safety inspections and fire drills once a semester, as well as regular walk-throughs in apartment stairwells and houses, to help maintain fire safety.
- Practice Biblical self-care through personal discipline and healthy activity.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Residence Director.
- FOR MORE COMPLETE INFORMATION ON THE GRA ROLE, PLEASE COPY AND PASTE THE FOLLOWING LINK INTO YOUR BROWSER: https://wheaton.app.box.com/s/8kmes0j8ctvan6plhzufpviv3ube3r90
- Work with the Dean of Residence Life in planning programs for male students.
- Assist the Dean of Residence Life with administrative responsibilities related to male students struggling with internet pornography. Facilitate meetings with male students whose names appear on the campus network blocked list for pornography and gambling.
- Document accountability conversations with men and communicate as needed with Residence Life staff to support these men.
- Assist in RD, GRA and RA training's concerning sexuality through providing counsel and resources.
- Meet weekly with the Dean of Residence Life.
- Work with RD’s, GRA’s, & RA’s to create and support stronghold groups, and provide mentoring to current RA’s.
- Support and mentor a couple student leaders in the Chaplain’s office who run the Stronghold’s (sexual purity) program.