Academic Technology Specialist
Academic Technology Specialist - LMS Emphasis
This position is housed in Butler University’s Center for Academic Technology (CAT). In accordance with Butler’s mission to be an “innovative leader in the creation and delivery of transformative, student-centered learning experiences”, this position supports Butler faculty, academic staff and students in the best use of educational technology in support of student learning. This is a highly collaborative position that will work closely with administrators, faculty and staff from around the university to ensure that Butler’s academic technology systems are well-supported and being used, optimally. Further, this position will be expected to lead select initiatives related to CAT’s mission and perform other duties as assigned. In particular, this position will have a special emphasis on administering Butler's new learning management system, Canvas, and on developing and facilitating Canvas related training and preparing and maintaing related documentation.
- Provide individual consultation and facilitate group learning experiences to faculty, academic staff and students on best use of supported Butler Academic Systems (Learning Management System, content capture platform, classroom response system, collaborative cloud-based applications, classroom technology systems, web-based video systems, etc.) and develop and maintain documentation for supported academic technology.
- Provide individual consultation and facilitate group learning experiences to faculty, academic staff and students on best use of technology in physical and virtual classrooms (e.g. wireless classroom collaboration systems, web video collaboration, interactive displays, etc.)
- Provide leadership for project management for short and long-term academic technology related initiatives (e.g. application evaluations, pilots, learning communities, committee participation, mini-grant projects, etc.)
- Support efforts to develop and offer innovative instructional experiences and academic programs including online and hybrid courses;
- Develop expertise/specialization and provide leadership in and for select applications and systems central to CAT’s mission (e.g. leading Butler-supported academic system teams; serving as primary consultant for academic video systems, serving as embedded consultant within a specific college, Information Commons coordination and supervision of student workers, etc.).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Understand and apply principles of learning and instructional design into consultation and training activities;
- Demonstrate proficiency in use of learning management systems and other technologies commonly used to support teaching and learning;
- Ability to research and incorporate emerging academic technologies into instruction;
- Maintain current awareness of issues and trends relevant to the position, including the University’s academic mission;
- Use communication and interpersonal skills to interact effectively in a collaborative work environment.
- Integrate use of relevant current technologies and tools into everyday practice and demonstrate their value to others;
- Work collaboratively and effectively with diverse groups, including students, faculty, and staff;
- Take initiative in recognizing, analyzing, and constructively solving problems and overcoming barriers;
- Contribute actively and constructively to help CAT achieve its goals;
- Adapt to new challenges, changing priorities, situations, and demands.
- Bachelor’s degree in Instructional Technology or related field
- Two (2) years of experience working in Instructional Technology at the college level
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of the student body and our faculty and staff. In addition hiring decisions are made on the basis of an individual's qualifications, past experience, overall performance, and other employment-related criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.