Executive Director, Auxiliary Services - Operations Division
Tufts University is excited to announce it is integrating its auxiliary services functions into one unit to improve strategic oversight, develop an entrepreneurial culture and enhance financial performance and customer service. Tufts seeks an innovative, collaborative and enthusiastic leader to spearhead the development, growth and ongoing operations of this new organization.
The Executive Director of Auxiliary Services reports to the Vice President of Operations and is a member of the Operations Division leadership team. The Executive Director will provide innovative leadership and financial oversight for a diverse group of revenue-generating auxiliary enterprises that directly support student life, the Tufts community and the academic mission of the University. Auxiliary Services includes: conference & event services, catering, summer housing, university campus store, vending, parking and transportation services, student access services, dining services, and other revenue-generating enterprises. Program growth and development, while optimizing revenue and operating margin contributions, will be priorities for the Executive Director.
- Establishes and formalizes new integrated Auxiliary Services unit by:
- Leading the reorganization, integration and alignment of existing auxiliary functions into one strategic and entrepreneurial unit supported by the VP of Operations, the Executive Director of Operations and other key operations team members over the next 2-3 years;
- Assessing current performance and identifying near- and long-term opportunities for improvement, business development and revenue growth;
- Developing a strategic plan and business model to improve profitability while maintaining and continuously improving customer service.
- Develops a comprehensive operating plan for Tufts’ new multipurpose Cummings Building which will significantly expand the University’s conferencing facilities and is expected to open in summer 2021.
- Develops and implements Auxiliary Services annual strategic plans and initiatives to meet the needs of University constituents in accordance with the University's mission, vision and strategic plan.
- Defines key performance indicators to monitor and track each auxiliary function’s performance as well as the aggregate performance of the Auxiliary Services group (e.g., customer service, efficiency, financial performance, pricing).
- Identifies opportunities for continuous business development, process improvement and operating margin growth to be addressed via strategic initiatives and application of new technologies.
- Plans, organizes, and manages the day-to-day processes and operations of assigned auxiliary functions; interprets and applies federal and state mandated guidelines.
- Oversees the accounting, budgeting, and reporting for the auxiliary functions as well as periodic reporting packages that communicate operating results, challenges and opportunities to a diverse constituency of university stakeholders and leaders.
- Maintains pace with industry standards and best practices.
- Develops and implements entrepreneurial ideas that contribute to the diversification and strengthening of revenue streams.
- Develops marketing and communications strategies that improve brand awareness and effectively inform external and internal customers of the value, benefits, and other pertinent information related to Auxiliary Services functions.
- Collaborates with university stakeholders to understand and optimize university investments in technologies and processes; keeps apprised of technological advancements to enhance the effectiveness of integrated services provided to the University.
- Administers all aspects of contracts with external vendors for Auxiliary revenue-generating activities, including contract negotiations, reviewing and interpreting request for proposals (RFPs), and ongoing contract / vendor management, in coordination with Tufts Purchasing partners.
- Implements administrative procedures and systems to carry out departmental service-oriented objectives and University policies.
- Coordinates with Operations Division counterparts to identify, prioritize and execute upon facility upgrades and maintenance in support of auxiliary services to ensure accessibility and service quality.
- Participates in University and campus community relations and improvement efforts by working closely with University leadership, representing the unit at meetings, serving on University committees, and participating in professional associations.
- Exercises a high-level of integrity in all interactions and transactions.
- Coordinates and maintains standards of excellence for services.
- Provides direction for planning and promotion of services that add value to the University experience for students, faculty, and staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated knowledge of trends, models, and best practices used in business, conference / event management, marketing, contract management, and auxiliary services across higher education and industry
- Bachelor's degree in business, hospitality management, marketing, or related discipline and twelve years of progressively responsible experience in a complex business unit with responsibilities for meeting or exceeding profitability targets
- Demonstrated experience creating and successfully executing upon strategic growth and revenue generation plans for auxiliary units or comparable profit centers within a complex organization
- A record of increasing responsibilities that includes directly managing large, multifaceted auxiliary enterprises with successful outcomes
- Proven record of business growth, development and organizational excellence in large scale conference & event planning/ management, program development
- Advanced project management skills; ability to manage multiple tasks and set priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills in writing and speaking to various audiences, listening and influencing
- Demonstrated goal-oriented management style; ability to create an atmosphere devoted to personal and professional development of staff
- Strong fiscal management and budgeting skills
- Ability to interpret request for proposals (RFPs) and review contracts/maintenance agreements related to operations
- Ability to handle and resolve complaints in a professional manner
- Flexible and comfortable working in a team environment
- Ability to collaborate across internal and external constituencies
- An interest in working in higher education and a commitment to the educational and revenue generating goals of Auxiliary Services
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Master's degree in business, hospitality or related
Tufts University is recognized as a premier university in the United States, with 10,500 students, more than 1,300 international students, and 450 international faculty and scholars. As well as possessing a global reputation for academic excellence and for the preparation of students as leaders in a wide range of professions, Tufts is an employer of choice, offering a market-competitive and progressive total rewards program that includes a spectrum of benefits and resources to create a positive work/life experience. For more information about Tufts and its benefits, please visit: http://hr.tufts.edu/benefits/
About the Operations Division
The Operations Division at Tufts manages facilities and construction, campus planning, real estate, campus safety, environmental safety, dining operations and other related services on multiple campuses across 5.5 million square feet in 250 buildings - the main campus in Medford/Somerville, the health sciences and SMFA campuses in Boston and the veterinary school campus in Grafton. Because of its leadership role in sustainability and in protecting and conserving resources, the Operations Division is central to and of increasing importance to the entire University.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Medford/Somerville
Organization: Office of VP Operations
Employee Status: Regular
Job Posting: May 7, 2019, 10:36:35 AM