Continuing Education Teaching Assistant for Software Development
Posting DetailsApplication Instructions
Please read carefully before applying:You must provide all information requested on the application form (resumes will not be considered as a substitute for the application). Initial screening by Human Resources for minimum requirements is based on your APPLICATION ONLY (supporting documents will not be reviewed during initial screening). Incomplete applications will not be considered by hiring committees. You will have an opportunity to upload supporting documents for committee consideration during this online application process.Position Information Posting Number:06001476Position Title:Continuing Education Teaching Assistant for Software DevelopmentPosting Date:01/31/2019Closing Date:Open Until Filled (notes):Length of Position:Term by Term BasisAnticipated Start Date:
March 11, 2019Position Type/Employee Class:Temporary PT HourlyFTE:Less than .50 FTESalary Level:Course StipendStarting Minimum Pay:Per Course StipendStarting Maximum Pay:Per Course StipendHours per Week:Hours are per class scheduleWork Schedule:Per Class or Course ScheduleDays of the Week:Dependent Upon Class ScheduleJob Summary/Purpose:
Purpose: To assist the Continuing Education Instructor for Software Development in ensuring the highest quality learning environment for students. Teaching Assistants provide learning support, perform coding competencies, and give demonstrations and direct students in competency practice.
Terms of Employment:
•This position is limited duration to be filled on term-by-term need, is non-benefited, and non-exempt hourly.
•Candidate must be flexible with work hours to meet evening or weekend class schedules; able to drive throughout College district as needed.
•Successful completion of background check and vehicle reference check.
The Mission of the COCC Continuing Education Department is to cultivate personal and professional growth for community enrichment. To meet that mission, COCC Continuing Education provides relevant lifelong learning opportunities by delivering exceptional educational experiences. Continuing Education provides an array of classes that allow students to explore personal interests and learn new skills.Essential Functions:
•Reinforce material presented by Instructor by reviewing with students one-on-one or in small groups.
•Coordinate student mentoring with Instructor.
•Grade student assignments and/or competencies and provide recordkeeping as needed.
•Provide classroom support including setting up classes and troubleshooting computer and technology issues.
•Provide direction to students based on assignments provided by the Instructor.
•Demonstrate competency by successfully use technologies taught.
•Coordinate with Continuing Education Program Manager to ensure that materials and supplies are ordered and available.
•Organize and distribute materials and supplies to students.
•Demonstrate exceptional communication skills and professionalism.
1.Computer literacy: experience with email, Internet, word-processing, and spreadsheets (preferably experience with MS Office Suite products).
2.Familiarity with the Internet and internal E-Mail system (prefer knowledge of Outlook).
3.Accurate arithmetic, grammar, spelling, editing and proofreading skills.
4.Knowledge of standard office equipment and phones.
5.High intermediate skill level with Git and Github troubleshooting.
6.Comfortable with UNIX, DOM, HTML, CSS, VS Code.
7.Must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, using the English language with or without the use of an interpreter.
The employee is required to function effectively indoors in an office environment engaged in work of primarily a sedentary nature with the ability to sit or stand for extended periods. Regularly required to use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms and requires near visual acuity to write, read written materials and computer screens, and sufficient hearing and speech ability for ordinary telephonic conversations. Computer is used 90-100% percent of the time. All individuals are required to be able to perform the essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation.Equal Opportunity / Non-Discrimination Statement
It is the policy of Central Oregon Community College that there will be no discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, disability, sex, marital status, national origin, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, or any of the classes protected under Federal and State statues in any education program, activities, or employment. Persons having questions about equal opportunity and nondiscrimination should contact the Equal Employment Officer, c/o COCC’s Human Resources office, 541.383.7216.Minimum Qualifications:
1.High School diploma or GED
2.1 year post-secondary Software Development education
The college recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants who do not meet minimum qualifications but present other qualifications or experience equivalent to those required will be considered and are encouraged to apply. To qualify under equivalency, applicants must indicate how they qualify under equivalency by responding to the supplemental question presented during the application process.Special Qualifications:
1.Customer Service experience.
2.Bilingual in English and Spanish is a plus.
This is a PT Instructor position for the Continuing Education Department at COCC. This position is part-time, non-benefited, and hired on a term-by-term basis.
Part-time instructor pools are posted for the term to obtain applications from those interested in teaching part-time as a non-benefited instructor, on a term-by-term basis, in the area of discipline advertised. Positions may not necessarily be available at the time you apply. Your online application will remain active for consideration throughout the length of the posting unless you are notified otherwise.
COCC is not able to support work visas for this position. Candidates must be able to work in the United States at time of employment.
Note that you will be required to upload/create the required documents indicated in this posting at the time you apply. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to upload all required documents, including transcript(s). If you have questions please contact HR at 541-383-7216.Is a Criminal History Check required?NoIs a Credit History Check Required?NoOpen Until FilledYesSupplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your highest level of education?
- No High School Diploma or GED
- High School Diploma or GED
- Professional Certification or License (not a degree)
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree in Progress
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree In Progress
- Masters Degree
- Ph.D. in Progress
- Other Doctorate Level Degree
- The College recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants who do not meet minimum qualifications, but present other qualifications or experience equivalent to those required will be considered and are encouraged to apply. There may be other requirements where an equivalency is acceptable. Please be aware that applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements and do not provide an equivalency statement will not be selected for an interview.Your statement should make clear the requirement you are addressing. Example: The position requires a Master’s degree. You have a Bachelor’s degree and work experience when combined you feel is equivalent to the degree requirement. Please make clear why you feel it is equivalent.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you a U.S. military veteran? (COCC provides qualifying veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment. To receive veterans preference in this recruitment process, you must upload your DD214 or DD215 form as supporting documentation. You will have the opportunity to upload the document in the next step of this application process.)
- Yes, I am a veteran
- No, I am not a veteran
- If you have identified yourself as a qualified veteran or disabled veteran by submitting your DD214 or DD215 form as proof of veteran status, please describe any transferable skills earned during your military service that you feel relate to the requirements/preferences of this position.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Background checks are required for all employees of COCC. Should an offer of employment be made to you and accepted by you, you will receive an email from COCC / HireRight Screening requesting your consent and basic information to complete the check. The offer of employment will be conditional upon satisfactory completion of the criminal background check. Confirmed findings on a criminal background check will not automatically disqualify you from being hired into a position. Results are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, considering the job responsibilities and other risk factors. Additional information regarding COCC’s criminal history check policy can be found online in the General Procedures Manual, Section HR-2-1. Please indicate here if you will provide consent to the criminal history check when requested by the College:
- Yes, I will provide my consent when requested
- No, I will not provide my consent when requested
- * The College is NOT able to support Visa applications for this position. Applicants must already be eligible to work in the United States to be considered for this position. Are you, or will you be eligible to work in the US by the start date of the position?
- The College recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants who do not meet minimum qualifications, but present other qualifications or experience equivalent to those required will be considered and are encouraged to apply. There may be other requirements where an equivalency is acceptable. Please be aware that applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements and do not provide an equivalency statement will not be selected for an interview. Your statement should make clear the requirement you are addressing. Example: The position requires a Master’s degree. You have a Bachelor’s degree, additional applicable education, and work experience that when combined you believe is equivalent to the Master’s degree requirement. Please provide a clear statement why you believe this combined education and experience is equivalent to a Master’s degree.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- College Transcript 1 (unofficial)
- US Military DD 214
- Other Document 1
- License or Certification