Job location: Worcester
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-02-21
JOB TITLEPostdoctoral FellowLOCATIONWorcesterDEPARTMENT NAMESocial Science & Policy StudiesDIVISION NAMEWorcester Polytechnic Institute - WPIJOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARYThe position is funded for 2-3 years. The successful candidate will work with Dr. Ivon Arroyo and a research team at WPI and across universities in New England on several NSF funded research projects involving math learning technologies for K-12 level, that integrate cognitive perspectives as well as metacognitive and affective perspectives, blended with rich data analysis and modeling, and teacher training including learner analytics and educational data mining.
A blend of Educational Data Mining and/or Educational Measurement skills (data extraction/manipulation, predictive modeling, structural modeling) with Cognitive/Learning Sciences/Math Learning and some kind of online learning technologies/Human Computer Interaction experience would make an ideal candidate, and interest in working with mathematics teachers in New England.
The post-doc in Learning Sciences and Technologies will help to answer research questions involving data extracted from math tutoring software, analyze data from past students and lead workshops for teachers in public schools (remotely) using these learning technologies, help direct undergraduate/graduate students in data collection/extraction, data analysis, and student modeling to answer research questions and publish several research articles.JOB DESCRIPTION
• Assist with project management
• Work with project PIs to create and deliver Professional Development programs and curriculum interventions
• Lead data collection process and assist with data analysis
• Assist with program evaluation research and implementation
• Attend and present at professional conferences and author scholarly publications
• Lead grant proposal writing efforts
• Participate in all team meetings and take part in additional projects related to MathSpring.org
• Ph.D. in Educational Measurement & Psychometrics, Educational Data Mining, Learner Analytics, Math education, Teacher education, or a closely related field
• An emerging record of scholarly productivity
• Experience in teacher education or online learning environments, or teaching in schools
Candidates will be evaluated on:
• A strong background in STEM teaching and learning, or in Educational Measurement
• A strong background in quantitative educational research methods
• Interest and experience teaching and learning STEM and Mathematics
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills
• Effective project management and coordination skills
• High level of initiative and ability to work independently
Appointment: Postdoctoral fellow, twelve-month appointment beginning Summer or Fall 2019. The appointment is for one year with the possibility of renewal for 2 additional years.
Salary is commensurate with university Postdoctoral Fellowship Policies and experience.
• Cover letter
• Curriculum vitae
• Graduate transcript
• Writing sample (peer reviewed publications preferred)
• Three references with knowledge of your education research and/or project management expertiseFLSA STATUSUnited States of America (Exempt)WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.