Accounts Receivable Specialist III
Elgin Community College
Accounts Receivable Specialist III
Elgin Community College (ECC) is a comprehensive, fully accredited community college located in Elgin, Illinois, one of its most rapidly growing cities. Our district encompasses 360 square miles, serving 400,000 people, 11,000 businesses with four public school districts and 15 high schools. ECC was selected as one of five Illinois community colleges to participate in the national Achieving the Dream (AtD) initiative. is a long-term national initiative that collaborates with community colleges to help more students earn degrees, complete certificates, or transfer to four-year institutions to continue their studies. The park-like setting of our 145 acre Main Campus offers instruction spanning nine major buildings with beautiful views. ECC also offers classes throughout the northwest suburbs of Chicago with more than 100 off-campus locations.
Coordinates the third party sponsorship program including, but not limited to all high-school partnerships, apprenticeships, Credit to Corporate Training, College Illinois, employer sponsorships, grant sponsorships, and serves as a resource to the frontline staff for all third party billing issues. Responsible for the timely and accurate depositing and reporting of all of the college's receivables into the appropriate accounts. Processes student refunds and ensures that they are entitled to the refund based on college policy and federal regulations. Responsible for processing and monitoring failed payments, credit card chargebacks and customer disputes. Serves as the point person to the Student Accounts Assistants by coordinating the effort to notify students of both failed payments and issues within the third party billing program. Serves as the first level of escalation for student issues arising within the third party billing program. Processes invoices and reminder notices for the Corporate Training Department and the Early Childhood Lab School and monitors their bad debt. Tracks payments from the State for Childcare Services and refund overpayments to the State when needed.
This position serves as backup for the Student Accounts Coordinator.
1. Coordinate the third party billing program, which includes but is not limited to high school partnerships, apprenticeships, Credit to Corporate Training, College Illinois, employer sponsorships, financial aid scholarships, and state/federal financial aid that must be billed. Keeps detailed records by sponsor and tracks available monies left in student's program. Processes invoices according to sponsor specifications.
2. Responsible for monitoring accounts for failed payments and responding to chargebacks.
3. Reconcile all cash and credit card receipts on a daily basis to the general ledger and various banking systems. Work with the Finance department during monthly bank/GL reconciliations.
4. Count the vault and verify for accuracy.
5. Add and remove charges from student's accounts.
6. Process the weekly check run for Student Accounts. This involves verifying if the credit is due to the student, sponsor or a financial aid transmittal is required. Must also pay off balances in prior terms using current credit before issuing checks.
7. Work with the SA Technical Specialist to test any system patches related to accounts receivable.
8. Performs administrative assistant duties such as creating BPO's each fiscal year for vendors providing services to Student Accounts. Enters invoices for payments for Student Account vendors. Audits the invoices and advises Bursar if services were not rendered according to agreement.
9. Assist the Early Childhood Lab School and Corporate Training department with invoice processing, collections. Keeps detailed records of childcare DHS sponsorship and the student's co-payment. Must issue refunds back to DHS if an overpayment occurs.
10. Serve as back up for Student Accounts Coordinator, as needed.
11. Perform other job-related duties as assigned which pertain to the job description.
12. Ability to work a flexible schedule, which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
- Associate's degree (AA) in accounting or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of three years student accounts experience with an emphasis on balancing accounts, completing journal entries and having knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new computer applications and systems quickly in order to access a multitude of different databases and websites.
- Proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office suite of software products, especially Word and Excel.
- Must have the ability to multi-task, work independently, make decisions, and identify problems and solutions.
- Possess excellent organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Must have superior customer service skills.
- Ability to perform well under pressure in a fast paced, dynamic work environment.
- Must have excellent verbal and written skills and a professional attitude to interact with many external agencies, businesses, students and internal departments.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
- Additional college level accounting courses preferred.
For a detailed job posting and to apply, please visit our web site at:
Elgin Community College is an Equal Employment, Equal Access Employer committed to increasing the diversity of our workforce.