Communications Specialist IV
Elgin Community College
Communications Specialist IV
Elgin Community College (ECC) is a comprehensive, fully accredited community college located in Elgin, Illinois, one of its most rapidly growing cities. Our district encompasses 360 square miles, serving 400,000 people, 11,000 businesses with four public school districts and 15 high schools. ECC was selected as one of five Illinois community colleges to participate in the national Achieving the Dream (AtD) initiative. is a long-term national initiative that collaborates with community colleges to help more students earn degrees, complete certificates, or transfer to four-year institutions to continue their studies. The park-like setting of our 145 acre Main Campus offers instruction spanning nine major buildings with beautiful views. ECC also offers classes throughout the northwest suburbs of Chicago with more than 100 off-campus locations.
- Execute public relations and communications strategies and tactics to support ECC's strategic plan, as guided by the Director of Marketing, through traditional and digital channels. Provide support for media relations and serves as a member of the college's crisis communications team.
- Research and create content for all of ECC's social media channels, current and emerging. Includes planning, writing, editing, implementation, and assessment for traditional and digital communications vehicles, internal and external communications tactics, social media/emerging technologies, photos and videos
- Coordinate internal and external electronic newsletters and publications.
- Coordinate content and message strategy for internal and external digital signage.
- Provide support and backup for media relations, which may include interacting with reporters and photographers, setting up interviews with experts, and writing pitches and news releases.
- Attend meetings and ECC internal and external functions as assigned.
- Serve as a member of the Crisis Team. May be designated as college spokesperson.
- Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) from an accredited four-year college or university in Journalism, Communications, English or similar field.;
- Minimum three years full-time experience in marketing, communications, public relations or journalism. Minimum two years full-time experience in planning, managing, executing and assessing social media initiatives and campaigns.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Skilled in adapting one's writing style and voice to be effective in various channels and formats (for example, social media vs. media relations, internal messages vs. feature stories).
- Proficiency with AP style; ability to adapt to style exceptions as needed for the channel/audience.
- Must possess a passion for writing, an openness to professional feedback, and a desire for continuous improvement in the marketing/communications field.
- Possess excellent organizational skills and attention to detail to manage multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
- Highly proficient with MS Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Expertise in the use of internet/digital research tools and to interpret data in order to tell persuasive stories.
- Demonstration of excellent oral communication skills in order to present as needed, conduct effective interviews, collaborate with colleagues/community partners, and represent the college when requested.
- Proficiency in digital communication vehicles such as web page content, blogging and social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and/or other emerging technologies/communications spaces.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
- Experience working with reporters/media outlets as a media relations representative preferred.
- Experience in higher education marketing/communications preferred.
For a detailed job posting and to apply, please visit our web site at:
Elgin Community College is an Equal Employment, Equal Access Employer committed to increasing the diversity of our workforce.