As a member of the Marketing & External Relations staff, the Graphic Designer/ Writer will collaborate with University’s Development & Alumni Relations team and project leads to gather content, design and create written materials for internal and external audiences, including but not limited to: brochures and flyers, direct mail pieces, invitations, web site content, speeches, alumni magazine and solicitation scripts. This position works closely with colleagues in publications, media relations, social media and web team to ensure consistent branding standards across media and platforms for engagement. The GD/W is responsible for creating high quality publications as well as creating user-friendly digital design that works on mobile and web platforms.
The Graphic Designer/ Writer will serve as project manager, editor, and/or principal writer for a wide variety of print and electronic projects, capital campaign-related promotional materials, and project summaries for a diverse array of fundraising goals while working with campus partners in Marketing and External Relations.
- Design and create branded marketing materials for Development and Alumni Relations and other departments as assigned based on shared university priorities and shifts in schedules.
- Work with the Director of Creative Services and Project Management (DCSPM) and internal marketing team to design print and web including: brainstorming/concepting, developing design, and producing final pieces.
- Work with Marketing daily to share concepts before they are presented to clients.
- Create campaigns with digital and print components, collaborating with DCSPM, client, web team and internal marketing team to meet client’s needs.
- Implement Development and Alumni Relations writing projects, as assigned, from inception through delivery.
- Provide writing and editorial expertise to front-line fundraisers across the Development and Alumni Relations Department.
- Write compelling proposals, inquiry letters, fundraising appeals, and other donor-related correspondence in support of the university’s strategic priorities.
- Collaborate with major gift fundraisers and university project leaders to steward high-level donors by writing high-quality and customized reports.
- Write and edit event invitations, letters, remarks for directors and other leadership team members, and other collateral materials as needed.
- Write personalized acknowledgments to major and leadership donors on behalf of Clarkson University leadership.
- Write and edit fund-raising material for internal and external communications, including the website, annual reports and alumni magazine.
- Write and edit additional Development-oriented copy as assigned.
- Periodically provide updated content for Development sections of University web site.
- Create fund raising web sites for Development.
- Establish working relationships with all members for the Marketing & External Relations team to further collaboration and teamwork as part of the day-to-day work environment.
- Establish working relationships with printers and outside vendors to obtain pricing, and schedule and coordinate printing jobs.
- Represent Marketing and Development offices to other University departments and serve on committees.
- A commitment to the Clarkson Values statement.
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested by Development and Marketing.
Experience, and Skills
Five to seven years of professional experience in business or technical writing, communications, media relations, or related field.
Knowledge of standard concepts, practices and procedures related to the position, including: expertise in use of English grammar, punctuation, and syntax; familiarity with appropriate business software applications; use of best practices in proposal development; ability to conduct research; understanding of branding and positioning strategies for the institution and for specific projects; ability to “ghost write” for various University administrators, staff, and volunteers; ability to learn subject-specific terminology for use in developing written materials; knowledge of when and how to use various channels of communication.Preferred Qualifications:
Experience, and Skills
Master’s Degree and/or experience in written communications; experience in marketing and customer service in a service-based industry.
Eight to ten years of professional experience in business or technical writing, communications, media relations, or related field.Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, bend and stoop. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Clarkson is committed to complying with the guidelines set forth under the Americans with Disabilities Act.Posting Detail Information Close Date Open Date 01/24/2019 Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions for this Posting
Clarkson University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
All offers of employment are subject to the applicant successfully passing a background check (including, but not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, and criminal records).Reference Request Details Maximum Number of Reference Requests 5 Minimum Number of Reference Requests 2 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Academic Keys
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Clarkson Website
- Massena-Potsdam Courier Observer
- Hispanic Outlook
- IM Diversity
- Insight Into Diversity
- New York Job Bank
- North Country This Week
- St. Lawrence Plaindealer
- Veterans Administration
- Watertown Daily Times
- Ogdensburg Journal
- Employee Referral
- Alumni Referral
- Conference Referral
- Discipline specific journals
- Discipline specific website
- Times Union
- I do not wish to answer
- * What is the highest level of completed education that you currently hold?
- Highschool Diploma/GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- ABD (all but disertation)
- * Do you have five to seven years of professional experience in business or technical writing, communications, media relations, or related field?
- * How do you embrace Diversity?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Diversity Statement