Mentor Counselor -- AgDiscovery
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Mentors/Counselors for the 4-H Youth Programs are employed by KSU
to serve as on-site, residential program assistants during the duration of the
assigned program(s). Mentors/Counselors serve as campus guides, role
models, chaperones, assistant teachers, and are responsible for the well-being
of program participants.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: (ex: duties that are essential to performing the
job with or without an accommodation)
· Provide full-time supervision to program participants (24/7)
· Provide support and direction to program participants in residence hall during morning and evening hours
· Ensure all program participants feel safe in the program environment
· Ensure program participants are aware of rules, and daily scheduled routines.
· Serve as a positive role model and be attentive to the program participants at all times.
· Complete tasks and provide leadership as assigned by Program Coordinator or Lead Teacher or Dorm Supervisor
· Mentor student teams/group
· Assist in timely arrival and departure to all activities
· Accompany program participants at all times unless dismissed by Program Coordinator, Lead Teacher, or Dorm Supervisor (i.e. to the Health
Center, to the dorm to retrieve a forgotten item)
· Follow and enforce Code of Conduct and Conflict Resolution Plan - assist with group and behavior management
· Assist w/ head count before departure of KSU campus and field trip sites
· Maintain highest level of communication with Program Coordinator, Lead Teacher, and Recreation Leader
· Contribute to daily reports
· Complete all reporting forms as necessary (i.e. incident report form, daily report log)
· Attend and participate in CPR and First Aid training
· Attend and participate in required skill building training sessions
· Adolescent Development Training
· Subject Matter Training
· Program Orientation
· Perform other duties as assigned
· Mentors/Counselors must be college students in academic
good standing with their respective university/college.
· Satisfactory criminal background check.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
· Excellent leadership skills
· Effective communication and interpersonal skills
· Ability to manage minor conflicts among adolescents
· Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to
accomplish tasks with little direct supervision.
· Must have the physical ability to lead and participate in camp
activities which include, but not limited to, team building activities and
· Frequent outdoor and physically active projects
· Extensive hours in case of emergency and during travel