Digital Fabrication Specialist
Under general supervision and with some latitude for independent judgment performs a variety of tasks in support of production fabrication facilities in the Interdisciplinary Technology Lab. Reporting to the Director of Interdisciplinary Technology, the individual will oversee and support all digital fabrication equipment and guide users of the ITL in their operation. The Digital Fabrication Specialist will assist the Associate Director in visioning new approaches to digital fabrication and by maintaining a current knowledge of equipment development and innovation.
- Develop comprehensive operational knowledge of IT's fabrication equipment.
- Train and manage student fabrication monitors to operate equipment.
- Develop and maintain research on outside academic and institutional fabrication equipment and facilities.
- Develop new workflows utilizing the resources in IT to increase production efficacy while making it easier to use.
- With the assistance of IT, create and maintain an online reporting system that tracks job types and duration.
- Work with equipment and material manufacturers to develop a database of best practices for specific materials and tools.
Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
Experience: Five or more years' experience in a higher education production fabrication environment.
Knowledge and Skills: Above an average knowledge of all design software used in all programs within the schools of architecture, art and design including but not limited to: graphic design and photo-editing software,
modeling and drawing software, 3-D printing software and hardware, parametric software and film and video editing software.
Other: Must have a demonstrated ability to work independently and juggle
several complex tasks simultaneously, as well as have excellent
verbal, written, organizational and interpersonal skills
Please submit your cover letter and resume. If you are selected for an interview, please be prepared to provide at least 5 References via our on-line reference tool system. At least 2 of your References must be, or have been, your direct managers.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pratt Institute recognizes and values the benefits of a diverse workforce.