Vice President for Academic Affairs
University of Western States seeks Vice President for Academic Affairs
Click here to view position profile: http://summitsearchsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/UWS_VPAA_Profile.pdf
Location: Portland, Oregon
The Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA) is the senior administrative officer representing academic affairs and reports directly to the President. He or she is charged with the academic leadership of the university; promoting excellence in teaching, research and service across all academic programs; directing and coordinating all academic activities; and assisting the President in the formulation and administration of university programs. The VPAA is responsible for the planning and implementation of approved new academic programs; the progression of existing degree and academic certificate program; curriculum planning; implementation and the monitoring of academic policies, practices, and procedures to support student success. The VPAA works closely with other university administrators to facilitate achievement of the university mission, vision, and objectives and to ensure institutional effectiveness. Reporting to the VPAA will be the Dean of the College of Chiropractic, Dean of the College of Graduate Studies, Dean of Library Services, Dean of the Center for Teaching and Learning, and the Research and IRB Administrator.
The VPAA will be responsible for all program/division supervision and management including the academic programs, centers and research areas. In addition, the VPAA will be charged with responsibilities related to planning, budgeting and leadership.
For a full list of these responsibilities please review the complete Position Profile using this link. http://summitsearchsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/UWS_VPAA_Profile.pdf
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The successful candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Higher education curriculum planning and assessment skills and experience.
- Professional interpersonal skills including effective verbal and written communication.
- Effective management of faculty and students in professional degree programs.
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others including the ability to hold employees accountable for established performance objectives.
- Demonstrated commitment to collegiality and shared governance.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize/execute plans and resource management to achieve desired outcomes.
- Competence in the management of human, physical, and fiscal resources in higher education or equivalent setting.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to exercise professional judgment and assume responsibility for decisions.
- Ability to follow policy and carry out due process for students and employees.
- Familiarity with conventional, integrative, complementary, and alternative medicine disciplines.
- Experience in dealing with legal and regulatory matters related to educational administration.
The successful candidate will bring the following qualifications:
- PhD, EdD or other terminal academic or professional degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Substantive and progressive administrative experience in positions such as department chair, dean, assistant or associate vice president in higher education, preferably in the health sciences.
- A record of developing and growing successful and innovative academic programs.
- Faculty experience in higher education.
- Demonstrated record in evidence-based program and curriculum development, program review and enhancement, continuous quality improvement processes, and budget and fiscal management.
- Experience with higher education accreditation standards and compliance analysis. Previous experience with self-study reports, accreditation evaluation team membership and/or accreditation committee membership is desirable.
- Experience in health science education strongly preferred.
- Awareness of, and the ability to carry out university policies including federal privacy and confidentiality requirements under FERPA and HIPAA.
- Knowledge of and experience using instructional technology in a higher education environment.
University of Western States (UWS) is a nonprofit, regionally accredited, private university offering world-class, integrated health care education and providing an evidence-informed approach to health and wellness.
The university is at the forefront of an emerging, whole-person philosophy of health care by offering a variety of health and wellness educational programs and provides integrated, evidence-informed curricula grounded in its dedication to current research and practices.
- BestColleges.com ranked the UWS sports medicine program No. 1 in the country while the HNFM program ranked No. 2 on the list.
- CollegeChoice.net, whose rankings highlight accredited, not-for-profit institutions that have developed exceptional academic online programs for students looking to advance their knowledge, skills, and careers listed the sports medicine program as No. 8.
- University of Western States is institutionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. The Doctor of Chiropractic degree program is accredited by the Council on Chiropractic Education (CCE).
- The university’s academic programs are organized into two distinct colleges. The College of Chiropractic offers the Doctor of Chiropractic degree; the College of Graduate Studies offers six degree programs including Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine; Sports Medicine; Sport and Performance Psychology; Clinical Mental Health Counseling; and Diagnostic Imaging.
Location: Located in Portland, Oregon, UWS sits in the beautiful Pacific Northwest where doctoral and master’s programs are offered both on campus and online. In the near future, UWS will be relocating its campus to a larger and more modern location in northeast Portland, less than 3 miles from the current campus.
PROCEDURE FOR CANDIDACY
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter describing their interest and professional qualifications. All inquiries will be considered confidential. Submit materials to https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=su142 by March 29, 2019.
For more information or to offer recommendations or nominations:
Jan M. Asnicar
Summit Search Solutions, Inc.
University of Western States does not discriminate in education or employment on the basis of sex, race, creed, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital or familial status, sexual orientation, or veteran status, gender identity, or any other basis prohibited by local, state or federal law. This policy complies with the spirit and the letter of applicable federal and local laws, including Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.