Payroll and Disbursements Manager
Job Description Summary
The Payroll and Disbursements Manager is a hands-on role that both manages and performs payroll and disbursements-related functions within the Financial Operations department. Under the direction of the Controller, the Payroll and Disbursements Manager will focus on providing both customer and transaction-level support to the department and University as a whole.
- Review and audit two bi-weekly (staff and student) and one monthly payroll for assigned pay groups that will include up to 3,000 employees. Process payroll when multiple payrolls fall in the same period and act as backup for the Payroll Specialist
- Provide direct management, support and analysis of the entire Accounts Payable function, including timely and accurate invoice processing & payment, direct management and training of 3 staff, evaluation, implementation and maintenance of internal controls, and user support.
- Assist in developing standard operating procedures, pay schedules and checklists and update accordingly
- Ensure that payroll is processed in compliance with all federal and state regulations, as well as within University policies
- Work with ADP Smart Compliance to reconcile quarterly and annual tax filings
- Manage the 1099 reporting process, including preparation and issuance
- Analyze and evaluate business processes and recommend actions to streamline processes, improve operational efficiencies, and identify opportunities for reducing operational costs and improving customer satisfaction.
- Provide clear and precise process and control documentation for responsible functions
- Develop and provide data analytics as needed
- Assist in the details involved for both internal and external audits as needed
- Bachelor's degree with 3-5 years of payroll administration experience is required with demonstrated knowledge of a wide range of payroll-related issues.
- Comprehensive knowledge of internal controls standards and financial reporting.
- Precise attention to detail and a willingness to provide a high level of customer service, internally and externally.
- Ability to independently manage multiple deadlines and competing priorities efficiently.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills with the ability to interact in a positive, professional, and courteous manner with individuals at all levels throughout the institution.
- Must be comfortable learning and using cloud-based complex financial system.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field preferred.
- Supervisory experience; prior Accounts Payable experience; prior experience in higher education or other non-profit setting.
- Workday experience highly preferred.
- Typical office work environment with extensive sitting and computer work
Bentley University strives to create a campus community that welcomes the exchange of ideas, and fosters a culture that values differences and views them as a strength in our community.
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity. The University is committed to building a community of talented students, faculty and staff who reflect the diversity of global business. We strongly encourage applications from persons from underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities, covered veterans and those with diverse experiences and backgrounds.