Social Science & Policy Studies
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Under Professor Ivon Arroyo of Social Science and Public Policy, will help development and/or maintenance of web-based software systems and Apps for the teaching of mathematics to K-12 level students.
Seeking a Software Engineer that leads and joins a team for development and/or maintenance of web-based software systems and Apps for the teaching of mathematics to K-12 level students. Three different learning software for mathematics are involved: Graspable Math, MathSpring.org and WearableLearning.org. All of them teach K-12 students mathematics through tutorials and games, and support teachers through assessment tools.
The Software Engineer would participate in research projects that investigate how students learn best with these technologies, by designing, programming, and installing software solutions designed and specified by the principal investigators; the software engineer will be part of a team of learning sciences and technologies researchers and students at WPI, directing a few undergraduate or graduate student programmers.
The Software Engineer will be comfortable programming in at least half of the following languages and concepts:
- Ruby on Rails
- HTML5 and front end development,
- MySQL or PostGre databases.
- Action script
- GIT or CVS
Example of Duties:
- Creates and maintains tutoring/educational software systems and interactive learning environments that serve federally funded grant projects across 2-3 universities;
- Interpersonal skills, capacity for dialogue towards understanding the needs of users, faculty and grant project needs, capacity to participate/present at weekly meetings;
- Studies information needs, confers with users, studies systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigates problem areas and generating creative solutions with state-of-the art technologies;
- Follows the software development lifecycle, maintains servers that serve learning software to national localities;
- Maintains databases that changing with new user data, and new content data created by members of a content-development team.
- Determines operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
- Documents and demonstrates solutions by organizing and enforcing the creation of well-organized documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code on himself and others that are led by him.
- Prepares and installs solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and programming
- Protects operations by keeping information confidential; protects the privacy of individual data collected from individuals and that resides in databases;
- Analyzing Information, Software Design, Software Documentation, Software Testing, Teamwork, General Programming Skills, Software Development Fundamentals, Software Development Process, Software Requirements, Software Architecture, Coaching
- M.S. in computer science or related field or equivalent combination of education and training, plus 2+ years experience, or B.S in Computer Science with 5+ years of experience.
- Excellent software engineering and programming skills in Java and/or other programming languages.
- Experience with Windows, OSX and Linux systems.
- Experience with SQL and working with a DBMS for data modeling and persistence (MySQL).
- Building user interfaces (GUIs), rich web-based applications, and systems integration.
- Strong interpersonal and cooperative skills; ability to work with people of varying backgrounds.
- Experience with networking and web applications development
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Software-Engineer_R0000230
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency