Relief Public Safety Officer (Temporary Employee Pool)
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Title Relief Public Safety Officer (Temporary Employee Pool) Union Level Department Public Safety Campus Stockton Posting Number 201301549P Full or Part Time Part Time Number of Months 12 Work Schedule
This is a temporary casual position. Must be willing to work evenings, night, weekend, and holiday shifts.Position End Date Open Date 02/20/2019 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
This recruitment is to establish a pool of qualified candidates, from which multiple short term, temporary appointments may be made.
Your application will be active for up to 12 months within the temporary pool. (Note: If a job specific posting is created and you are interested in that specific position, please reapply directly to the posted position. Your previous temporary pool application will not automatically transfer to the new job opening.)
Submission of materials does not guarantee consideration for future employment in openings of this type, since availability can be unpredictable and consideration competitive.Position Summary Information Primary Purpose
Responsible for performing law enforcement and crime prevention activities. Controls traffic flow and enforces State and local traffic laws on Pacific campus.
This recruitment is to establish a pool of qualified candidates, from which multiple short term, temporary appointments may be made.Essential Functions
1. Patrols University property in patrol car, bicycle, and foot patrol.
2. Provides information and direction to staff, faculty, students and visitors to campus.
3. Enforces City, County and State laws, and University rules and regulations.
4. Conducts preliminary and followup investigations.
5. Makes arrests as necessary and prepares reports.
6. Interviews victims, complainants and witnesses.
7. Testifies and presents evidence in court.
8. Assists in performance of a variety of community relations and crime prevention activities.
9. Participates in public relations programs to promote better police community relations and crime prevention.
10. Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
This position serves as Campus Security Authority (CSA) as outlined by the Clery Act. CSAs have federally mandated responsibilities to report crimes that are reported them.Minimum Qualifications
• High School diploma or G.E.D.
• POST Basic Academy graduation certificate required.
• Must be 21 years of age.
• Must be a citizen of the United States or permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship.
• No felony convictions.
Skills/Knowledge and Experience:
• Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
• Basic computer skills in Windows operating system, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
• Ability to read maps and retain street, building, and compass directions.
• Able to research and gather information through interrogations and investigations.
• Effectively communicate over telephone and radio equipment.
• Knowledge in Community Oriented Policing.
• Certified in Basic First Aid.
• Effective operation of Emergency Vehicles
• Able to effectively qualify in the use of firearms.
• Prior law enforcement experience preferred, but new academy graduates are encouraged to apply.Physical Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must pass Physical Agility Test (PAT) required to meet physical requirements for Stockton Police Department. Must successfully complete a background investigation, which shall include a background screening, pre-employment physical, and a psychological screening.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel:
Work performed both in and out of doors. Must be willing to work evenings, night, weekend, and holiday shifts.
Valid driver’s license required. Incumbent must also be able to meet the University’s fleet rules and be eligible to drive for University business. The University and its insurance carrier reserves the right to exclude applicants based on their driving record.Hiring Range Commensurate with experience, non-exempt Background Check Statement
Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must pass a criminal background check.AA/EEO Policy Statement
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a High School diploma, or G.E.D.?
- * Do you have a POST Basic Academy graduation certificate?
- * How did you first learn about this employment opportunity?
- University of the Pacific Website
- Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U)
- Chronicle of HIgher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium - Northern California (NorCal HERC)
- Modesto Bee
- Pacific Employee
- Personal Referral
- Professional or Association Listserv
- Publication or website from a professional organization
- Sacramento Bee
- San Francisco Chronicle
- Stockton Record
- Agency Referral
- Other Online Job Board
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document