Business Development & Conference Manager
Clarkson University seeks a highly motivated and visionary team player to develop, market and successfully produce, support and execute externally focused conferences, concerts, workshops, meetings, events, executive education and related programs that will help build Clarkson University’s brand and reputation as well as gain new net revenue for the University and its priorities.
The Business Development & Conference Manager is a new position and presents an excellent opportunity for an experienced professional to create an exciting and sustainable vision for conference management at the University during a time of new investment and renovations to key facilities as well as the expanded footprint of the institution that presents new opportunities in Schenectady and Beacon as well as Potsdam, New York. The shared goal working across the University is to generate significant additional net revenue to cover expenses as well as support student aid, research, and overall University growth and development.
Candidates with a solid knowledge or transferable skills of what it takes to build revenue-driven conference business and professional education opportunities will be well poised for success, continued growth and development at a time when the fields of engineering, business, education and the sciences could not be more important. Clarkson is a well-known and highly respected University that each year, under the leadership of its board of trustees, president and senior administrators is focused on identifying new knowledge and imparting a spirit of entrepreneurship to all its constituencies, particularly to its students, faculty and alumni.
The successful candidate must possess the experience and innate style to understand and embrace the vision and mission of the University as it relates to developing new business opportunities through conferences and related services. With the strong support and backing of the VP for External Relations and a great team in Marketing & External Relations with a proven track record of strengthening campus departments, building effective partnerships and generating new resources, the Business Development Manager will create and execute a plan to maximize facility usage, revenues and reputation opportunities.
- Responsible for the day-to-day business development and external conference operations as well as formulation and fulfillment of the vision statement for conference and facility usage by external groups.
- Collaboratively craft and establish a business plan to identify areas of investment and to meet return revenue generation targets; coordinate on associated budgeting process and timely submission of expenses with the budget manager in the Office of Marketing & External Relations.
- Lead the development of a comprehensive marketing plan to attract external clientele and the generation of supporting materials (website, brochures, etc.) in concert with colleagues from the Office of the Marketing & External Relations.
- Develop conference/events business through relationships, networking and attendance at trade shows, community contacts, and convention and visitor bureaus.
- Support faculty and staff with viable opportunities for Clarkson to host professional association activities that require venue and conference management.
- Identify, solicit and procure sponsorships and partnerships for activities to recuperate expenses.
- Work with the campus community and external clients to schedule and oversee all conference needs utilizing the appropriate campus facilities, Clarkson Inn and residences based on data and type of projected program. This may also include the selection and contracting of meeting/conference space off campus for various events and functions.
- Serve as the chief liaison with audio/visual and IT teams, financial billing services, risk management, service center room reservations and campus safety and security.
- Communicate and resolve problems effectively and in a timely manner with event organizers and clients.
- Generate contracts and insurance requirements, monitor compliance with University policies and government regulations consistent with templates and plans made with the director of Risk Management.
- Attend and participate in meetings and projects of the University, not limited to construction and renovation project meetings, and have a presence at high-profile University events.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Experience, and Skills
Bachelors’ Degree in a related field.
- Bring creative and financially-driven direction to the mission and vision for conference management to help achieve departmental and staff goals/aspirations, including obtaining sponsorships and other financial support.
- Work productively with all Clarkson colleagues including those for whom the position does not have direct authority; particularly faculty, students and senior administrative leaders of the University. Develop and maintain effective, smooth and professional work relationships with students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- Provide administrative guidance within area of responsibility, offering direct training, compliance oversight, and supervision as needed.
- Apply effective budgetary and fiscal planning techniques to meet the business plan and operating budgets.
- Conceptualize and prioritize all objectives while exercising independent judgment based on a clear understanding of University organizational policies and activities.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Use personal computer software, enterprise software solutions and other office equipment to effectively complete tasks and manage projects.
Experience, and Skills
Masters’ Degree in related field
This position requires flexibility in personal scheduling to address client needs, including availability to travel and work evenings and weekends as dictated by client and operational needs. Must be able to drive on own to the various campus and conference locations.Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, bend and stoop. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Clarkson is committed to complying with the guidelines set forth under the Americans with Disabilities Act.Posting Detail Information Close Date Open Date 12/28/2018 Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions for this Posting
Clarkson University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
All offers of employment are subject to the applicant successfully passing a background check (including, but not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, and criminal records).Reference Request Details Maximum Number of Reference Requests 3 Minimum Number of Reference Requests 2 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Academic Keys
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Clarkson Website
- Massena-Potsdam Courier Observer
- Hispanic Outlook
- IM Diversity
- Insight Into Diversity
- New York Job Bank
- North Country This Week
- St. Lawrence Plaindealer
- Veterans Administration
- Watertown Daily Times
- Ogdensburg Journal
- Employee Referral
- Alumni Referral
- Conference Referral
- Discipline specific journals
- Discipline specific website
- Times Union
- I do not wish to answer
- * What is the highest level of completed education that you currently hold?
- Highschool Diploma/GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- ABD (all but disertation)
- * How do you embrace Diversity?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter