Assistant Professor (Construction Management)
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Job_Type: Full Time
Location: Main Campus
Eastern Michigan University's School of Visual and Built Environments in the College of Technology seeks applicants for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Construction Management (CM) to begin fall 2019.
The EMU Construction Management programs include an ACCE-accredited Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, and a Master's degree in Construction Management, as well as a college-wide Ph.D. in Technology with a concentration in Construction Management. The graduate and undergraduate programs focus on construction of commercial, industrial, institutional, and civil/heavy/highway/infrastructure facilities. The Michigan construction industry actively supports EMU's efforts in curriculum development, student job placement, and accreditation.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Teach contractual load of undergraduate and graduate courses in construction management as assigned by the department or school.
Assign and submit grades in accordance with established University schedules.
Keep posted office hours during the week which are scheduled at times most beneficial to students.
Provide academic advising to students, if applicable.
Serve on search committees for hiring of new faculty members, departmental committees and other service committees across the university.
Participate in activities such as student registration, orientation, convocations and commencements. Key services include leading our student competition teams, participation in alumni and professional associations, and events organization such as our annual career fair and golf-outing. Potential for program leadership exists.
Attend and participate in scheduled departmental meetings and functions.
Provide other support service to the department, college and/or university, if applicable.
Engage in pursuits that enable them to remain current in their respective disciplines.
Engage in pursuits that help to further organize and contribute to growth of the body of knowledge in their respective disciplines, and/or to explore interdisciplinary implications.
Perform related Departmental duties as required.
- Doctoral degree in Construction Management, Civil Engineering, or a related field with a minimum of three years U.S. construction management industry experience, and evidence of successful teaching experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in construction management and computer applications especially in areas of estimating & bidding, planning & scheduling, and project production control.
- Demonstrated or has the potential to conduct scholarly works in a construction related field.
Preferred Qualifications and Credentials:
- More than three years U.S. construction management industry experience.
- Professional registration/certification such as CPC, PE, CCM, PMP, and AIA.
- Prior full-time university-level teaching experience in construction management or related programs.
- Demonstrated interactions with the construction industry through training, research programs and similar partnerships.
- Dedication to actively providing leadership to students through student club sponsorship, competition team coaching, organizing and implementing of similar student activities.
Applications must include 1) a specific letter of interest, 2) complete vita or resume that includes four references with contact information, 3) brief statements of teaching philosophy including courses taught, and 4) statement of research interests. Review of applications will begin on February 1 and continue until position is filled.
EMU enrolls approximately 20,000 students and offers an outstanding benefits package and a collegial work environment. EMU's distinct mix of comprehensive academic resources, strong diverse community initiatives, focus on Education First, and nationally-recognized undergraduate and graduate student research achievements set it apart. The EMU campus is located in the Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor community, five miles from downtown Ann Arbor and 35 miles west of Detroit, MI and Windsor, Ontario.
Eastern Michigan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Educator that is strongly committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity.
Eastern Michigan University offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance; a TIAA-CREF retirement plan with employer contributions; an outstanding vacation and time off policy; a tuition waiver program and much more.
Click here to view highlights of the University's total rewards program.
For specific information by employment classification, click here to review the Benefits in Brief information.