Assistant Professor in Ethnic American Literature or Intercultural Communications (LatinX/Latin...
Job VacancyPosition Information Functional Title Assistant Professor in Ethnic American Literature or Intercultural Communications (LatinX/Latin American Studies) Position Details Job Description Summary
The University of La Verne is a private not-for-profit university founded in 1891 located in La Verne, California. The core values that we live by are Ethical Reasoning, Diversity and Inclusivity, Lifelong Learning and Community and Civic Engagement.
>>>If you’re passionate about these values, join us at the University of La Verne!
The University of La Verne, College of Arts and Sciences, invites applications and nominations for a tenure-track assistant professor, whose work is rooted in LatinX Studies. The successful candidate will be fully appointed in English and Modern Languages or Rhetoric and Speech Communications (60% teaching major courses in the home discipline and 40% teaching courses in LatinX/Latin American studies). Currently, the LatinX/Latin American Studies concentration leads to a minor. The goal is to grow the concentration into a major by 2020.
We welcome applicants with backgrounds in ethnic American literature OR intercultural communications. Teaching load is a 3:3.Specific Duties
- Responsibilities of every tenure-track faculty member also include teaching excellence, maintaining an outstanding program of research and/or creative activity, and providing service to the academic units, College, and University.
- Other responsibilities include: teaching undergraduate courses in the tenure-home department, assisting with curricular development/organization in LatinX/Latin American studies, mentoring undergraduate students, and partnering with academic and student success offices to create a supportive and inclusive community.
- A Ph.D. in English, Rhetoric, Ethnic Studies, or related inter-disciplines. The successful candidate must be able to teach a range of courses in the home department as well as courses that contribute to the study of Afro-disaporic peoples, cultures, and histories in LatinX communities in the U.S. with particular attention to race, racism, and diaspora. Other areas of intersecting interest include U.S./Latin American studies; social movements and activism; performance studies; visual studies; feminisms, gender, LGBTQ+, and sexuality studies.
- Strong teaching record, a scholarly record and interest in LatinX/Latin American issues, topics, and research.
- Administrative experience in coordinating interdisciplinary programs is desirable.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and internal equity. Benefits include a comprehensive health and wellness plan, tuition remission program for employee, spouse, and dependent children, a generous 10% contribution to the University’s 403B retirement plan, and a generous time off plan.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion and clearance of a background check and employment verification.
U.S. News & World Report rates La Verne Online No. 1 in California for the third consecutive year and 24th best in the country. Washington Monthly’s 2016 “America’s Best Colleges for Adult Learners” rankings place La Verne No. 3 among private, 4-year institutions in California.
La Verne is Tier 1 in U.S. News 2017 “America’s Best Colleges” National University rankings for the seventh straight year, and again made Forbes “America’s Top Colleges” rating (WASC Accredited).
Position is pending budgetary approval. Priority review will begin October 15 and continue until position is filled. Applications should include a cover letter, statement of teaching philosophy and research agenda, curriculum vita, evidence of teaching effectiveness, graduate transcripts, and the names, titles, contact email and phone numbers, three professional references.Open Date 08/27/2018 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Referred by University of La Verne Employee
- University of La Verne Website
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Philosophy
- Research Agenda
- Student Evaluations
- Graduate School Transcripts
- List of 3-5 Professional References
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- Samples of Published Research
- Sample of a Research Paper
- Teaching Evaluations
- Peer-reviewed publication
- Course Syllabi