Director of Development for the College of Health and Human Sciences
Job Title: Director of Development for the College of Health and Human Sciences
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 24933
Job Code: 3312 Administrator II
Department: Development Univ Advancement
CompensationClassification: Administrator II
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA status: Exempt
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/up/all/benefits/
About the PositionThe Director of Development for the College of Health and Human Sciences is expected to partner effectively with the College of Health and Human Sciences to implement strategies to secure philanthropic support for San José State University fundraising priorities identified by the University¿s leadership in collaboration with the Office of Development in the Division of University Advancement. Responsibilities include identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individuals capable of giving major gifts to the University. In support of these efforts, the Director of Development initiates, maintains and strengthens close working relationships with key academic leaders, campus administrators, various stakeholders, and University Advancement colleagues.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Identify long term donor and supporters and create an environment of confidence and reliability
- Working with Advancement and Campaign Operations, build a prospect/donor portfolio with annual goals for personal visits and fundraising outcomes based on established metrics
- Develop and execute donor centric strategies to identify, cultivate, close major gifts
- Present and regularly review top prospect strategies with AVP and other key team members as appropriate
- Work with volunteer leadership providing them direction and support in maximizing major gift fundraising potential
- Effectively utilize the campus prospect management system to enter prospect/donor contact reports and other relevant data in a timely fashion
- Prepare written donor cultivation and solicitation plans and proposals
- Draft Memoranda of Understanding for gifts when appropriate and facilitate their processing
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Minimum Qualifications- Bachelor's Degree from accredited institution
- Three years of progressively responsible experience in fundraising, or comparable field
Preferred Qualifications- Advanced Degree
- Experience in developing donor (or client) - centric solicitation strategies leading to closing major gifts (or accounts)
- Fundraising experience in capital or comprehensive campaign setting, preferably at an institution of higher education
- Experience engaging and supporting volunteer leadership in their fundraising efforts
- Excellent written communication skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities- Knowledge developing donor (or client)-centric solicitation strategies leading to closing major gifts (or accounts)
- Ability to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward prospects/donors and effectively move them through the development cycle leading to closing six and seven-figure gifts
- Skillful in making cold calls (opening doors) as well as developing donor-centric cultivation and solicitation strategies
- Fundraising knowledge in a capital or comprehensive campaign setting
- Ability to engage and support volunteer leadership in their fundraising efforts
- Evidence of strong written communication skills; ability to write clearly and persuasively
- Strong initiative and self-motivation and ability to work as part of a collaborative team
- Ability to define problems, gather data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and ability to utilize fundraising database programs
Posting DateFebruary 19, 2019
Application ScreeningApplication Screening begins March 11, 2019
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application MaterialResume
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Additional InformationSatisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment StatementSJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
Contact InformationOne Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046