Extension Agent, 4-H
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy Type NC Cooperative Extension Is Internal Transfer Only No Job Type Full-Time - Permanent Time-Limited Appointment Length No If Yes, Appointment Length Title Extension Agent, 4-H Working Title Extension Agent, 4-H Salary Range Anticipated Hiring Range Minimum Bachelor's $40,000; Minimum Master's $45,000; Minimum Doctorate $50,000 Position Number NC-00002214-0219 Work Schedule Monday-Friday; 8:00 am - 5:00 pm; evenings and weekends as needed Full Time Equivalent (FTE) 1.0 Department 117523 - North Central District - Davie Department Job City & State Mocksville, NC Primary Function of Organizational Unit
North Carolina Cooperative Extension gives our residents easy access to the resources and expertise of NC State University and NC A&T State University. Through educational programs, publications, and events, Cooperative Extension field faculty deliver unbiased, research-based information to North Carolina citizens.
Davie County is part of the twelve county Piedmont Triad area. While largely rural, Davie County has a growing suburban population attracted to the county’s low cost of living, top rated school system and community college, state of the art medical facilities, and excellent quality of life. Davie County offers rural appeal and character, as well as convenient access to interstates I-40, I-77 and I-85. The County is located within a short drive to major cities, such as Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and Charlotte, and the scenic Blue Ridge Mountains. The county’s total population is approximately 42,000. Mocksville is the county seat and Davie’s largest town with a population of over 5,000. Enjoy Mocksville’s small town charm, picturesque rolling landscapes, and historic downtown area.Essential Job Duties
The agent in this position will be responsible for planning, marketing, conducting and evaluating educational programs for youth ages 5-19; recruiting, training and coordinating adult and teen volunteers; and working with adult volunteers to design, develop, implement and evaluate programs that meet the needs and interest of youth as to engage them in positive life skill development activities.Other Work/Responsibilities
Duties include developing and maintaining organized 4-H clubs, special interest youth programs, 4-H projects, summer day camp programs, and school enrichment programs.
Volunteer development and utilization of an advisory system is essential to success. Candidate must have the ability to recruit, train, and utilize adult and teen volunteer leaders.
The position will be responsible for obtaining public support of 4-H youth development programs, responding to client requests for specific and technical information regarding youth education needs, and will maintain and increase personal professional competencies.
Responsibilities will also include management of youth programs funded through grants and fees; oversight of the county 4-H budget; and education, marketing and promotion of the 4-H program though news articles and other media outlets.Minimum Experience/Education
One of the following educational requirements: – A Bachelor’s degree with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 overall or a 3.0 (based on a 4.0 scale) in child or youth development or related field, – A Bachelor’s degree and the completion of at least one-half of coursework in a Master’s degree curriculum with a cumulative grade point average 3.0 or higher with at least one of the degrees in child or youth development or related field, or – Completion of a Master’s degree with at least one of the degrees in child or youth development or related field. Also required: a personal automobile; computer literacy; strong oral and written communication skills; the ability to plan, implement, market, and evaluate educational programs; willingness to work as a team member and support a total Extension program; and the ability to handle multiple demands and set priorities. Personal Attributes: Successful performance of the duties encompassed in the County Extension Agent’s job requires that the individual possess habits of industry, a sense of responsibility, and a genuine appreciation for the worth of the individual. The employee must be adept in both oral and written communication. The County Extension Agent is eligible to become a member of the non-tenure track/special faculty at North Carolina State University. The County Extension Agent has primary responsibility for planning, executing, and evaluating that phase of county Extension programs within assigned areas of program responsibility. The County Extension Agent cooperates with colleagues in the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service and county leaders in performing assigned responsibilities. The performance of assigned responsibilities is governed by the philosophy, objectives, policies, and procedures of the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service.Departmental Required Skills
A Bachelor’s degree in youth or child development or a closely related field is required.
Travel within the county and district is required. Occasional travel outside the district is also required.
The candidate selected for this position shall possess the ability to work independently, handle multiple demands, set priorities and meet deadlines. The candidate must be able to network with diverse audiences, customers, volunteers, Extension specialists, and local Extension staff. The candidate must be a team player and support the total Extension program, possess strong oral and written communication skills, possess appropriate computer skills, and be willing to actively seek outside resources to enhance the program. The candidate must be able to develop and implement innovative strategies for presenting educational programs and provide leadership in planning, implementing, marketing and evaluating educational programs and activities with measurable impacts.Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
A Master’s degree is preferred.
Previous 4-H, Extension or other professional experience is desired.Required License or Certification
Valid driver’s license.Special Instructions Job Open Date 02/18/2019 Must Be Open Until
Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time. 03/04/2019 Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies? No Proposed Hire Date AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree verified at www.wes.org. Degree must be obtained prior to start date.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- * If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * All agent positions require a minimum education requirement of: A. A Bachelor's degree with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 overall or 3.0 in major field of study (based on a 4.0 scale); B. A Bachelor's degree and the completion of at least one-half of coursework in a Master's degree curriculum with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher; C. A completed Master's degree. Do you meet this minimum education requirement?
- Yes, I meet the requirement listed in section A above.
- Yes, I meet the requirement listed in section B above.
- Yes, I meet the requirement listed in section C above.
- No, however I am in my last semester of study.
- No, I do not meet this requirement.
- * Please give detailed examples of your qualifications and work, school, and other experiences in the following competency. Youth and Adult Development--The knowledge of the growth and development process over the life span and its application in the creation of environments which optimize human potential.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please give detailed examples of your qualifications and work, school, and other experiences in the following competency. Volunteerism for Youth Development--The integration of knowledge related to adult and youth development, organizational systems, volunteer research, and management practices to build and maintain volunteer management systems for the delivery of youth development programs.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please give detailed examples of your qualifications and work, school, and other experiences in the following competency. Organizational Systems for Youth Development--The knowledge of organizational systems and resource management practices that lead organizations to the fulfillment of their missions.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please give detailed examples of your qualifications and work, school, and other experiences in the following competency. Partnerships for Youth Development--The knowledge of the process and contextual factors which enhance the ability of community members to work together to improve the quality of life for youth and their families.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please give detailed examples of your qualifications and work, school, and other experiences in the following competency. Learning strategies for Youth Development--The knowledge of theory and its application in the design and evaluation of learning experience for positive youth development.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2