Physical Therapy/ Asst Professor of Clinical
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-02-19
If you are a current employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami (UM) is considered among the top tier institutions of higher education in the U.S. for its academic excellence, superior medical care, and cutting-edge research. At the U, we are committed to attracting a talented workforce to support our common purpose of transforming lives through teaching, research, and service. Through our values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity and Teamwork (DIRECCT) we strive to create an environment where everyone contributes in making UM a great place to work. We are one of the largest private employers in Miami-Dade County; home to more than 13,400 faculty and staff from all over the world.
The Physical Therapy Satellite Supervisor organizes the Physical Therapy services in the UHealth satellite location. Areas of responsibility include management of day-to-day operations, supervision of all Physical Therapy staff, and efficient management of quality service. Other responsibilities include ensuring effective and efficient workflow / staffing, marketing of services, assisting in program development as needed, and supervision and direction of quality improvement activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manages day-to-day operations and objectives for outpatient Physical Therapy business segment at a specific location.
• Promotes effective and efficient use of personnel and other resources with adherence to the quality standards of the UHealth system.
• Responsible for the overall direction, supervision, instruction of the professional and support staff.
• May assist in assuring: a) quality staff is hired, retained, and rewarded; b) employee issues and needs are resolved; c) discipline and termination are handled appropriately and within University policy; d) compensation issues are equitable and market based; and e) evaluates performance while setting development plans and goals for the upcoming year.
• Responsible for management of the satellite such that productivity and quality goals are met. This includes monitoring budget performance, identifying opportunities for increasing revenue cost containment, and ensuring compliance with policies.
• Act as a leader and a mentor for all staff through example and counseling.
• Oversee the scheduling for all clinic activities.
• Identify competency level for all staff, and recommend / provide development plans for individuals and the clinic.
• Work with the Vice Chair for Clinical Service and other team members to identify needs and opportunities for operational plans, and new programs/ services.
• Work with the Vice Chair for Clinical Service and other team members to implement meaningful quality improvement programs and projects.
• Work with the Vice Chair for Clinical Service and other team members to implement effective marketing activities.
• Submit clinic data regarding volumes as requested by the Vice Chair for Clinical Service.
• Promote and maintain a safe and clean environment in the clinic.
• Participate in academic activities such as guest lecturing and lab instruction as needed by faculty.
• Perform any other duties as directed by the Vice Chair for Clinical Service.
• Perform clinical duties as appropriate for educational background as per the job description for a clinical Physical Therapist.
• Perform evaluation on new patients, establish goals and develop appropriate treatment plans with the patient in accordance with UMH patient care policies and based on standards of practice established by the APTA.
• Provide physical therapy treatment in accordance with the established treatment plan effectively and efficiently. Demonstrate knowledge and ability to apply therapeutic principles and practices. Skillfully and safely progress patients through the levels of treatment within the maximum capabilities of the patient.
• Document all evaluations, treatments and other pertinent patient interactions in accordance with UMH policy.
• Provide relevant education to the patient and/or family regarding the patient's condition and instruction for home activities.
• Develop and maintain effective communication with the patient, family and other members of the rehabilitation team.
• Communicate with physicians and their staff directly, electronically, by phone or in writing. Obtain necessary additional information and suggest revisions in treatment as appropriate.
• Use treatment tools and equipment in a safe and effective manner.
• Maintain a satisfactory level of productivity according to clinical standards and demonstrate willingness to adjust personal schedule in case of crisis and real clinic need.
• Participate in quality and safety improvement activities as directed by the Vice Chair for Clinical Service.
• Orient, instruct and direct work activities for assistants and support personnel.
• Supervise and instruct Physical Therapy students according to professional guidelines.
• Provide or participate in educational programs for staff, patients and the community at large.
• Participate in program development and marketing efforts as directed by the Associate Chair for Clinical Service.
• Actively pursue professional growth through affiliation with professional Physical Therapy associates, workshop attendance and conferences.
• Understand and follow UMH policies and procedures.
• Perform other duties as directed by the Vice Chair for Clinical Service.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Graduate from an accredited educational program approved by CAPTE and shall hold a current state license as applicable. The Physical Therapist shall be responsible for maintaining standards of professional and ethical practice according to ATPA guidelines in the full scope of Physical Therapy services.
• Management experience preferred.
• Good written and verbal communication skills.
The performance evaluation shall occur on an annual basis in the AYA-PAYA format utilized throughout the Department of Physical Therapy and Miller School of Medicine for faculty personnel (see attached). The Associate Chair for Clinical Service shall solicit a self-appraisal and compare the results to pre-set goals and expectations of achievements. A summary of prior year performance and plan for the upcoming year are delivered in a face to face meeting, and results are then given to the Miller School of Medicine, Office of Human Resources for the employee file.