Head Women’s Basketball Coach
Head Women’s Basketball Coach
Posted: April 12, 2019
SUNY Sullivan is seeking to fill the position of Head Women’s Basketball Coach.
The Head Women’s Basketball Coach is responsible for the overall operation of our nationally recognized NJCAA Division II Women’s Basketball program. This person will also assist with student retention and the operation and administration of the Department of Athletics.
This position reports to the Director of Athletics and works hours as assigned by the Director of Athletics and as needed to meet athletic programming and department schedule requirements. Weekend and evening hours are required, as needed. An in-season and out-of-season work schedule will be created as per the needs of the program and department.
The position is classified as Academic Support Staff and the incumbent is a member of the Professional Staff association.DEPARTMENT MISSION
The Department of Athletics, as a partner in the mission of SUNY Sullivan, provides an effective learning experience for student-athletes through competitive NJCAA Division I, II & III Athletics. We are committed to cultivating an environment of excellence that fosters personal growth, leadership development, responsible citizenship, and teamwork. The department promotes pride, loyalty and unity within the SUNY Sullivan community and creates opportunities for life-long relationships.QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s degree is preferred) in Physical Education, Sports Management or Recreation or related field is required.
- At least three (3) years of experience coaching basketball and athletic administration, preferably on the collegiate level, is required.
- Proficiency using MS Office software.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, athletes, staff, faculty, alumni, administrators and parents.
- Ability to inspire achievement and leadership among students, athletes and staff.
- Direct and coordinate the planning, organizing, and coaching of the SUNY Sullivan’s women’s basketball program including the Junior Varsity Team. Coordinate all basketball related duties to include recruitment of players, team practice and game management at the scholarship level.
- Direct and coordinate the activities of the Women’s basketball staff to include planning, organizing and coaching of the women’s basketball team; ensure compliance with College, NJCAA, Region XV and Mid-Hudson Conference policies and regulations.
- Direct the basketball staff in preparation and analyses of opponent teams; analyze game statistics tactical data of opponents and prepare game plans accordingly.
- Assign and supervise the basketball staff in the recruitment of new players; in conjunction with the Director of Athletics, determine recipients of basketball scholarships.
- Provide leadership and instruction in the personal and athletic development of student/athletes at SUNY Sullivan.
- Counsel team members in academic, disciplinary, and personal matters; consult with College administration and faculty for resolution of problems as required.
- Work closely with the Athletic Trainer and School Nurse for the care and prevention of athletic injuries and support the overall drug and alcohol education program for student-athletes.
- Determine fiscal requirements and prepare budgetary recommendations; monitor, verify and reconcile expenditures of budgeted funds.
- Direct various personnel functions including, but not limited to, hiring, performance appraisals, promotions, and schedules of the Women’s PT Basketball Staff. Make recommendations to the Athletic Director for assistant basketball coaches and managers. Supervise coaching and managerial staff of Women’s basketball team to include a full JV program.
- Study, evaluate and implement innovations in basketball strategy and equipment.
- Represent SUNY Sullivan Department of Athletics in professional, civic, charity and alumni events.
- Assist in the implementation and management a summer sports camp program.
- Function as a coordinating liaison with the employees of the Admissions Office, Dormitory Corporation, Learning Center, Financial Aid Office and other offices on campus to facilitate each student-athletes’ transition to college life.
- Assist the Athletic Director in the implementation of an academic monitoring program for all student athletes and assist part-time coaching staff by supervising mandatory study hall programs for all SUNY Sullivan student-athletes.
Operations and Administration
- Assist in the operation and management of the Paul Gerry Fieldhouse including, but not limited to: Building supervision responsibilities and coverage which will include evenings and/or weekends.
- Assist in events in the Field House as assigned by the Director of Athletics and/or the Dean of Student Development Services, that are hosted or sponsored by the College
- Represent, as assigned by the Athletic Director and in consultation with the Public Relations Office, the College’s sports programs to the media and at public functions in accordance with College policy regarding contacting members of the media.
- Participate and coordinate the participation of varsity athletes and coaches in the fundraising ventures of the department including, but not limited to, the operations of The General Store and The Generals’ Club.
- Assist in the supervision of the work-study program.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Athletic Director and/or the Dean of Student Development Services.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled in anticipation of a Fall 2019 appointment. The hiring range for this position is $42,770-$46,853.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this employment opportunity, and e-mail your cover letter, resume and the name, address and telephone number of (3) professional references to: