Senior Director of Communications
Senior Director of Communications
Posted: October 16, 2019
SUNY Sullivan is seeking to fill the position of Senior Director of Communications. The Senior Director of Communications provides leadership to the offices and functions that communicate information to the campus community and external constituencies. The Senior Director of Communications is the primary team member responsible for message development, planning, crafting and managing communications to raise awareness and positively position and differentiate SUNY Sullivan. This position leads media relations and public relations for the College. This position oversees the offices and functions for Special Events and Campus Activities, Public Relations, Social Media, Website, and Marketing.
The position serves as “reporter,” executive editor and writer for the College, identifying, developing and writing story ideas and establishing regular communication with faculty to uncover stories that advance SUNY Sullivan’s brand. The Senior Director of Communications will work with an external Marketing firm and may enlist others (on staff or contract) to curate content for maximum impact.
The Senior Director of Communications provides direct supervision to: the Director of Special Events and Campus Activities, Coordinator of Web Development and Social Media, and Administrative Assoc. to the Office of Communications.
This position reports to the President and participates in the President’s Executive Committee and Cabinet. It is classified Management Confidential.QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree preferred. Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in the public relations, journalism, communications, and/or marketing field.
- Excellent communication skills – an excellent storyteller, with superb ability to write and speak clearly and compellingly, impeccable grammar and attention to detail in copy editing
- Successful candidates must be entrepreneurial in spirit, looking to improve upon current processes, take initiative and ownership of developing and overseeing projects. Candidates will possess a hands-on attitude with high-energy determination, thrive in a fast-paced work environment and able to work independently
- Strong project management skills with the ability to organize, prioritize and execute multiple activities with a keen attention to details and to delegate responsibilities appropriately
- Strong problem-solving skills, sound judgment and solid decision making
- Demonstrated ability to retain composure and judgment under stress
- Excellent interpersonal skills and works well with others
- Integrity – Discretion in dealing with confidential information and demonstrated a willingness to uphold high ethical standards
- Media – significant experience effectively managing media relations, with a proven track record of securing visible stories in leading media outlets
- Social Media – fluency in social media and previous success in leveraging social media platforms to extend the reach of communications. Experience with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat and social media management tools such as Hootsuite and Sprout Social
- Metrics/Analysis – experience in using measurement tools to review media analytics and results to assess the impact of communications programs to inform strategies, refine activities and report on progress. Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Supervise, direct, and evaluate the Director of Special Events and Campus Activities in the planning, implementation, management and evaluation of all activities related to special events, campus activities and community learning.
- Collaborate with academic and non-credit divisions on the design and implementation of innovative recruitment and associated marketing initiatives to meet the goals of the college’s enrollment management plan.
- Develop marketing initiatives for various events hosted by The Foundation Board.
- Design and implement a communications program to enhance the college’s reputation as a leader in educational attainment and economic development in order to create a favorable climate for student recruitment, fund raising, college and community relations, and alumni relations.
- Establish and cultivate relationships/partnerships with business owners and community members, leading to enhanced brand, potential enrollments, workforce development opportunities and possible donors.
- Coordinate College grant writing activities.
- Provide oversight for publications and responsive communications originating in the President’s Office.
- Facilitate the establishment and analysis of department/unit measurements for Public Relations & Marketing, Special Events & Campus Activities, and Community Learning that support continuous improvement and the accomplishment of the college’s strategic goals.
- Develop and manage the annual budgets for Public Relations & Marketing, Recruiting, Special Events & Campus Activities, and Community Learning.
- Sit on the President’s Executive Committee and President’s Cabinet.
- Perform other reasonable and appropriate duties as might be assigned from time-to-time by the President.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, for full consideration we strongly encourage candidates to submit all required materials prior to the review start date of November 14 th , 2019. The hiring range for this position is $68,000 to $72,000. Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this employment opportunity, and E-mail your cover letter, resume and the name, address and telephone number of (3) professional references to: