Feb 19, 2019
The Senior Accountant will be responsible for the maintenance, reconciliation and accurate accounting of the lnstitute's capital assets inventory. Other duties will include account analysis and reconciliation of Student Loan Receivables and philanthropic gifts.. The position is responsible for the preparation of key general ledger account reconciliations, monthly, quarterly and annual close process. The incumbent is expected to maintain accurate and timely accounting schedules in accordance with GAAP. This role will assist with annual audit schedules, and be responsible for the monitoring and oversight of several balance sheet areas. The position reports to the Accounting Manager and works closely with other members of the General Accounting staff, and with staff in Budget, Student Financial Services, Institutional Advancement and other areas.
We seek someone with a Bachelor's degree preferably in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Management or related field and a minimum of 3-5 years of relevant accounting and financial reporting experience including an understanding of accounting processes, general ledger maintenance and reconciliation, journal entries, and preparation of consolidated financial statements. The selected individual will demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills, be detail-oriented, and possess the ability to multitask and prioritize work in a fast-paced environment. He/she will have highly developed analytical skills and the ability to work independently. The position also requires someone with strong aptitude for technology and proficiency with Microsoft Office. Experience with higher education and/or the non-profit industry and with Ellucian's Colleague ERP system are desired, but not required.
- Monthly reconciliation of the Students Federal Loans, bank account activities to the General Ledger which includes the analysis of the daily and weekly reconciliations, and the appropriate resolutions of reconciling items and discrepancies.
- On a daily basis, review of cash inflows and outflows in the Federal Student Bank Loan accounts and process accurately the necessary journal entries to book daily activities on the account. It includes the retrieval of Loan Rosters; reconciliation of bank loan funds receipts to the rosters and interface with the Financial Aid Counselor and Bursar Operations Manager for missing information and variances.
- Analyze monthly transactions in capital object codes to ensure accurate reporting. Prepare all necessary journal entries for fixed assets additions, deletions, and transfers. Prepare quarterly depreciation journal entries for fixed assets. Update fixed asset lead schedule on a monthly activity.
- Review, journal entry posting and payment of utilities for various campus locations
- Analysis of equipment leases and processing of lease payments.
- Maintains and handles the accounting for Munson Williams Proctor Institute general ledger and student accounts. Prepare the wire for the Federal funds disbursements to MWPI for fall and spring semester, and prepare the necessary journal entry. Detail analysis of activities on each student accounts and prepare necessary schedule to determine the appropriate invoice to process and clear the account balances.
- Assist with requests and prepare informational reports to the Pratt Centers.
- Reconciliation of the campus wide bursar petty cas
- Researches and prepares the necessary journal entries for all re-classes and charge backs (copy center and campus printing).
- Responsible for non-student accounts receivable activity:
- Receives and deposits checks onsite
- Reconciles to daily deposit file and bank statement
- Maintain cash receipts schedules and documents
- Monitors, tracks and records all known ACH/Wire payments for all Centers, federal awards, and NYS grants & awards.
- Communicate with departments and agencies regarding unknown payments
- Assist in the posting of payments from third party vendors
- Reconciliation of various liability accounts ie, exchange/clearing accounts, accrued expenses etc.
- Weekly review of accounts payable vouchers
- Perform all other duties or special projects as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's Degree, prefer a bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business or related field.
Experience: Minimum of 3-5 years experience preferably in higher education, general ledger accounting, bank reconciliations and some treasury function experience.
Skills: Working knowledge and experience in integrated accounting systems, PC software applications, Excel, Word. Strong communication skills, oral and written.
Please submit your cover letter and resume. If you are selected for an interview, please be prepared to provide at least 5 References via our on-line reference tool system. At least 2 of your References must be, or have been, your direct managers.