Early County Extension Family & Consumer Sciences Agent
Posting DetailsPosting Details Posting Number F0302P Working Title Early County Extension Family & Consumer Sciences Agent Department CAES Southwest District CES About the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/Department
UGA Cooperative Extension was founded in 1914 to bring research-based agricultural information to the people of Georgia. County agents and specialists throughout the state share information on issues like water quality, profitability in agribusiness, family wellness and life skills. County agents provide soil and water test kits and instruction, advice on safe pesticide use, publications, computer programs and lessons in consumer skills to improve Georgians’ quality of life. They are the local experts in food safety, proper eating habits, child safety and parenting. UGA Extension coordinates 4-H, Georgia’s largest youth program. Each year, almost 200,000 young Georgians participate in community projects, summer camps and conferences on today’s issues while having fun and learning to work together. The leadership skills and values they learn in 4-H last a lifetime. UGA Extension reaches more than 2.6 million Georgians through education programs each year. Millions more rely on UGA Extension’s publications, educational news articles and public television programming for advice and information.College/Unit/Department website http://extension.uga.edu/county-offices/early.html Posting Type External Retirement Plan TRS Employment Type Employee Benefits Eligibility Benefits Eligible Underutilization Minorities Advertised Salary Commensurate with qualifications Anticipated Start Date 06/01/2019 Effective End Date (for Limited-Term postings) Job Posting Date 02/18/2019 Job Closing Date Open until filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants Location of Vacancy Other South Georgia Area EEO Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.Position Details Position Information Classification Title Public Service Professional AC Pay Grade FLSA Faculty Rank Open Rank Contract Type Fiscal (12 mo.) Tenure Status Non-Tenure Track Minimum Qualifications Position Summary
This position is responsible for coordinating the Family and Consumer Sciences program in the geographic area offering programs about nutrition, food safety, parenting, money management, and related subject matter areas. Over 32% of the county population is categorized as obese, contributing to chronic diseases associated with obesity such as diabetes. 47% of children in Early County live in poverty. In addition, the Agent will work in areas of financial literacy, family stability, food safety (52 establishments), nutrition and housing.
It will establish a health and wellness outreach program including chronic disease self-management, as well as targeted nutrition and health programs for seniors and families with children. It will provide state required trainings in food safety for food service providers, in addition to nutrition and child development trainings for child care providers. It will address financial capacity of individuals and families by working with them to stretch limited food dollars to saving and investing to plan for the future. This position will address these critical needs by delivering educational programs to a wide variety of audiences.
This position requires frequent night meetings, some weekend work, and attendance at out-of-county meetings. A valid driver’s license and access to a reliable private vehicle for official duty travel are required. Reimbursement for business travel will be provided.
A Master’s degree in Family and Consumer Sciences, Food & Nutrition, Food Science/Safety, Child Care, Health, Human Development, Financial Management, Housing, or closely related area
A Bachelor’s degree is acceptable for a Public Service Provisional appointment. This provisional faculty classification is offered for no more than three years without review. You may apply for a regular service faculty appointment upon completion of an advanced degree or successful progression through the public service promotion process. See the University of Georgia Guidelines for Appointments and Promotions for Public Service and Outreach Academic Rank for complete details.
http://outreach.uga.edu/policies/appointment-and-promotion-guidelines/Relevant/Preferred Education, Experience, Licensure, and/or Certification Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
-Computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
-Ability to speak to/teach large groups of residents
-Ability to organize and carry out activities and programming for youth
-Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with county, district, and state staff, local government employees, and clientele
-Ability to show high standards of professionalism in personal contacts, appearance, and work habits
-Ability to express thoughts clearly and concisely through written and verbal communication
-Ability to work as a team member and engage with groups and committees
-Ability to design, coordinate, and teach educational programs to meet community needs
-Skills in leadership and management
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
• Plans and conducts educational programs and outreach in the program area of Family and Consumer Sciences
• Utilizes the expertise of Early County Program Development Teams, community leaders, community agencies, public officials and representatives of intended audiences to identify needs and assist in developing educational programs
• Utilizes current research data and information on emerging issues in program development and teaching
-Implements the CAES Civil Rights/Equal Opportunity plan and ensures that clientele understand that UGA Extension offers its educational programs, assistance, and materials to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status
• Develops and teaches educational programs to clientele based on the previously determined needs of the community.
• Collaborates with other staff in FACS, 4-H and AG&NR program areas to develop and conduct programs based on critical issues
• Collaborates with other agencies, university personnel and community groups to implement programs including Early County Family Connections, Early County Health Department, Family Literacy Group, School Nutrition Programs, Childcare Resource and Referral, Early County Schools, Department of Family & Children Services, etc.
• Provides leadership for volunteers, para-professionals, and teen leaders in delivering FACS and 4-H programs
• Develops newsletters, exhibits, newspaper articles and radio programs to further reach the needs of the community and expand the public’s knowledge of Extension FACS programs.
• Develops a FACS plan of work that is equitable in meeting the needs of the varied county socioeconomic situations. Targets specific audiences such as low income and youth at risk for educational programs addressing critical issues identified in plan of work
• Develops content and educates clientele in FACS programming issue areas of food & nutrition, food safety, housing, childcare and consumer resource management.
• Utilizes a variety of teaching methods as appropriate for each audience.
• Maintains records of program and event attendance for reporting purposes.
• Reports programming activities at county, district and state levels.
• Evaluates effectiveness of educational programs.
• Seeks financial opportunities, grants, etc. to help fund programming in FACS program area.
• Budgets and manages allocated funds for equipment, supplies, travel and other program support.
• Participates in professional education development, in-service training, professional organizations and other development opportunities.
• Demonstrates personal interest and involvement in community by participating in and supporting civic/community activities and organizations and networking with community leaders
• Conducts promotional efforts to expand the public’s view of extension programming
• Maintains a professional image.
-This position serves as a UGA Public Service Faculty member and a member of the Early County Extension Staff who will:
- Regularly participate in staff conferences.
- Assist staff with day to day operations of Cooperative Extension county office by answering the phone, greeting visitors (ONLY as needed).
-Other duties as assigned by the County Coordinator, SW District FACS Program Development Coordinator, SW District Director and other State FACS Faculty.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- Have you ever served as a UGA Summer Intern?
- This position is located at the UGA Early County Extension Office in Blakely, GA, Are you willing to work from this location?
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcripts
- List of References with Contact Information
- Unofficial Letters of Recommendation