Vice President of External Relations
Job Description Summary
Bentley University has retained the executive search firm, Korn Ferry, to lead the search efforts for this position. Nominations and expressions of interest will be received until a list of candidates is put forward for final consideration. Applications and nominations may be sent to: [email protected]
The Vice President of External Relations is a new position for Bentley University, will report directly to the President. The units reporting to this position are those most engaged with Bentley's corporate partners (Career Services, Executive Education, Center for Women in Business (CWB)). All of these units will report to this new position. The goal of the Vice President is to coordinate the activities of these units, along with other centers and academic programs on campus, so that the experience of each corporate or other partner with Bentley is well coordinated, unified, and focused on generating value both for the partner and for Bentley. The position responsibilities are:
- Develop an “account management” approach to corporate relationships at Bentley where each key corporate relationship is managed in an integrated way with the goal of maximizing the level of support for Bentley (in money, time, and expertise).
- Increase the number of corporate partnerships and diversify the current portfolio of corporate partnerships in terms of industry, function, and geography. This diversification is particularly important in the recruiter base.
- Deepen engagement with existing partners and create deep engagement with new partners, as evidence by multiple, coordinated points of contact and interaction with Bentley
- Heighten the visibility and properly promote external partnership efforts and programming in the market, with the goal of increasing enrollment, revenue, and corporate engagement with the educational and research missions of the university. Collaborate with University Advancement to increase corporate philanthropy and other forms of corporate support.
- Ensure that all programming in Executive Education, the CWB, and Career Services are aligned appropriately and support the strategic plan and mission of the University.
- Provide leadership and oversight in the development, planning, organizing, marketing and directing the delivery of Executive Education programming to corporate groups and individuals.
- Champion the mission of the Center for Women and Business; ensure continued implementation of the strategic plan and alignment of CWB activities with closely related activities such as those in Executive Education.
- Bring synergy and a strategic mission to leverage and align the efforts of the Center for Women and Business and Executive Education. Ensures that both programs are adequately capitalized; will create a financial model that will make both entities self-sustaining and revenue generating; will identify fund-raising and funding opportunities as appropriate, and will make certain that current and future programming is appropriately monetized.
- Provide vision and strategic leadership for University Career Services while ensuring the appropriate development and delivery of programs and resources. Collaborates with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including academic affairs, student affairs, enrollment management, alumni relations, corporate relations, faculty, alumni, trustees, parents, and employers in order to foster effective relationships and partnerships that results in outstanding career outcomes for students.
- Serve as a member of a highly collaborative leadership team, and work closely with other senior leaders to ensure clear communication and follow-through with various projects and initiatives for the University;
- Oversee a broad range of special projects and initiatives on behalf of the President, utilizing data to track progress and contribute to more effective performance management of these initiatives, where appropriate;
- Promote and raise the profile and impact of the University to external constituencies by being a visible, engaged and communicative leader representing the University;
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of national higher education issues, and a national network of contacts with leaders in higher education;
- Manage the performance of all assigned personnel.
The successful candidate could come from a variety of professional backgrounds, and will have:
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree strongly preferred
- A genuine passion for contributing to the transformation of a premier business institution that is operating in a rapidly changing environment;
- At least 10 years of relevant leadership and management experience, which could come from the for-profit, nonprofit, or education setting;
- Strong team-based orientation; a personality that thrives in matrixed environments and enjoys partnering with fellow senior team members and faculty to achieve results;
- An approach to staff management that brings out the best in team members, and champions a positive leadership style;
- Superior communication skills and the ability to connect with a variety of audiences including students, faculty, staff, alumni, and employers; clarity, crispness and effectiveness in written and oral presentation;
- Exemplary interpersonal and listening skills;
- A keen eye for operational efficiency and optimal use of resources; an aptitude for use of data and metrics in decision-making; the ability to plan, monitor, and tightly manage a budget;
- Ability to work closely and effectively with diverse groups individuals, internally and externally, and;
- The ability to travel periodically, both domestically and internationally.
- Normal office work environment with extensive sitting and computer work which may result in some eye strain.
- Some travel to attend offsite meetings and conferences during and outside of standard work hours may occur.
- Given the nature and high level of position, frequent periods of stress and longer work days may be experienced.
Bentley University requires references checks and may conduct other pre-employment screening.
Bentley University strives to create a campus community that welcomes the exchange of ideas, and fosters a culture that values differences and views them as a strength in our community.
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity. The University is committed to building a community of talented students, faculty and staff who reflect the diversity of global business. We strongly encourage applications from persons from underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities, covered veterans and those with diverse experiences and backgrounds.