Full-Time Engineering Faculty, Tenure Track
Whatcom Community College (WCC) invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Engineering Instructor beginning Fall Quarter 2019. The College is seeking a dynamic individual committed to developing and engaging students with innovative and inclusive curriculum and teaching methods both inside and outside the classroom. The College seeks faculty who have the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with students, colleagues, staff, and others in a campus climate that promotes cultural diversity and global understanding. The successful candidate will demonstrate a commitment to equity and inclusion, and utilize a variety of learner-centered teaching strategies and evaluation techniques.
Job responsibilities include teaching an equivalent of 15 credits per quarter and contributing to the college through service, participation in governance, and program development. The successful candidate will assume primary responsibility for teaching and curriculum development for the Introduction to Engineering course. The balance of the teaching load and course responsibilities will consist of additional engineering courses selected based on department needs and considering the candidate's interests and qualifications. Engineering discipline service opportunities include advising student clubs, engaging in community outreach, mentoring student projects, and developing connections with local industry.
WCC Faculty have regular opportunities for on-campus professional development, collaboration with colleagues, scholarship, and engagement in workshops and learning communities. These opportunities contribute to professional advancement at the College, as well as personal growth. This position supports all four of the College's four core themes – achieving success, building community, advancing equity, and enhancing effectiveness.
Qualifications, Salary and Appointment
- M.S. or Ph. D. in engineering, physics or related field from an accredited institution.
- Teaching experience in engineering or a closely related field (previous CC or University, K-12, graduate school TA, substituting, tutoring, etc.).
- Experience teaching 100-level introductory engineering courses that include orientation to the profession, academic skill development, problem solving, design experiences, and/or computing tools.
- Teaching experience in two or more of the following: Engineering Graphics, Statics, Electrical Circuits, Logic Circuits, Computer Programming, Numerical Methods with MATLAB, Thermodynamics, Dynamics, Mechanics of Materials.
- Ability to teach a wide range of engineering courses.
- Industry experience working as an engineer.
- Experience implementing evidence-based pedagogies that support learning for all students.
- A desire/ability to recruit and inspire diverse student populations to embrace learning engineering and achieve their highest potential.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work effectively with colleagues.
- Knowledge and understanding of Universal Design for learning and accessibility.
- Experience using a learning management system, preferably Canvas.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated content knowledge in the program or discipline.
- A commitment to student centered, inclusive pedagogy.
- A commitment to WCC's vision as "an innovative college, engaged with our diverse and changing communities."
Salary and Appointment:
- Current Master's degree salary begins at $52,371 (additional degrees and experience increase rate); 174 day annual contract.
- The position comes with a full benefits package, including health, dental, life, long-term disability insurance and a retirement plan.
Additionally, as a Washington State, public higher education institution, WCC offers the following:
- Whatcom Community College is a qualified employer for the PSLF program. If you work for the College full time, have had Direct Loans and are on an eligible repayment plan, you are eligible to apply.
- Full-time employees are eligible to apply and participate in the Whatcom Community College Employee Tuition Program, which provides a tuition waiver for available and eligible WCC courses.
- Fall Quarter, 2019.
Application Due Date:
- For guaranteed consideration, application packets should be received by Monday, March 11th, 2019 at 4:59 pm. Position open until filled.
To apply please visit us at: