Dean, Honors College
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Job_Type: Full Time
Location: Main Campus
Eastern Michigan University (Eastern) invites nominations and applications for the position of Dean of the Honors College. Eastern currently serves more than 19,000 students pursuing undergraduate, graduate, specialist, doctoral and certificate degrees in the arts, sciences and professions. More than 300 majors, minors and concentrations are delivered through the University's Colleges of Arts and Sciences; Business; Education; Health and Human Services; Technology, and its graduate school.
The Honors College provides the intimacy of a small, liberal arts education within the context of a large, comprehensive university. The Honors College offers a wide range of experiences that aid in the development of 1,400 undergraduate students with an appreciation for creativity, the arts, sciences, critical issues facing contemporary society, and diversity among people. Eastern houses one of the oldest Undergraduate Research Symposiums in the United States and the Honors College is integrally linked to this vision.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Provost and Executive Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs, the Dean is the Honors College's chief academic and fiscal officer and a member of the University's academic leadership team. The Dean will guide the academic and business planning of the Honors College, advocate for its interests within and outside the University, engage and serve the local and regional educational community, and work to increase the Honors College's national visibility and to secure the resources necessary to fulfill its ambitions. They will also support Eastern's mission focused on inclusivity, global perspective and applied learning experiences.
- A Doctoral degree or the terminal degree in the candidate's academic discipline is required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in curriculum development and honors programming, typically acquired through education and experience.
- Faculty appointment at the rank of Associate or Full Professor is necessary.
- Seven years of teaching experience in a university is required: evidence of effective teaching experience with honors students is desirable.
- Some combination of knowledge and experience with the following: budget management, development and implementation policies and procedures, public relations and/or grant writing is necessary.
- Four years of administrative experience with evidence of progressive responsibility in a university is required.
- A broad understanding of higher-education issues, particularly those affecting an Honors curriculum.
- Proven ability to collaborate and interact effectively with a variety of internal and external constituencies.
A full description of the duties and responsibilities for this position may be found at:
The successful candidate will serve a twelve-month appointment. A competitive salary will be based on qualifications and prior experience with a tenure track appointment at the Associate or Full professor rank. Applicants should submit a cover letter describing how the candidate's experiences fit the qualifications listed, a curriculum vitae, and the names and complete contact information for three professional references.
Review of applications will begin on March 25, 2019 and the position will remain open until filled. References will not be contacted without the explicit permission of the candidate. Confidential conversations about this opportunity may be arranged by contacting Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs David Woike at [email protected]
All applications must be made online at:
Multicultural experience is desired. Women and members of under-represented groups are encouraged to apply. Eastern is an equal opportunity employer.
Eastern Michigan University offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance; a TIAA-CREF retirement plan with employer contributions; an outstanding vacation and time off policy; a tuition waiver program and much more.
Click here to view highlights of the University's total rewards program.
For specific information by employment classification, click here to review the Benefits in Brief information.