- Participate in such duties as planting, cultivating, mowing, edging, weeding, trimming, pruning, spraying (including pesticides), fertilizing, watering, landscaping, demolition, land renovation, and tree and debris removal.
- Operate a variety of light and heavy grounds maintenance equipment.
- Clean walks, entrances, driveways, roads, parking lots, and patio areas by sweeping, blowing, washing down and shoveling areas.
- Paint required markings in parking lot.
- Participate in the inspection of grounds, trees, shrubs and flowers for problems
- Rake and remove leaves and debris.
- Pick campus litter, haul trash and recyclables to appropriate destinations
- Participate in the maintenance and repair of curbs, walkways and parking areas.
- Water campus landscape as deemed necessary and as directed
- Support University needs with moving of larger items
- Moving tables, chairs, stage, poster boards, event floor coverings for event setups
- Participate in the maintenance of campus sprinkler systems.
- Assist in fire hydrant maintenance and repairs.
- Under the supervisors supervision assist in the purchase of flowers and shrubs; ordering of parts to maintain required inventory.
- Participate in the removal of snow and the application of chemicals and sand.
- Participate in demolition for construction projects.
- Assessing and performing basic repairs and maintenance of storm and sewer lines.
- Assist in the care of natural and artificial turf athletic fields.
- Live out and make decisions in line with the Clarkson University values in all daily activities while on duty
- Operate and work in a safe manner at all times and ensure the highest level of housekeeping
- Provide mentoring and leadership to interns, apprentices and/or student workers
- Willingness to take courses and/or training to meet trade specific and University standards
- Complete Clarkson Vehicle Safety Checklist before vehicle use. Be responsible for care, cleanliness, and maintenance of assigned vehicle and report all vehicle concerns to appropriate supervisor immediately
- Operate a Clarkson vehicle in accordance with University policy
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein
- Deliver timely, friendly, and effective service to University faculty, staff and students
- Encourage and Promote Teamwork
- Ability to gain general knowledge of the campus
- Participate in reporting of campus damage and/or safety issues
- Possess basic knowledge of various types of plant and tree species
- Fork lift trained
- Must have enthusiasm for the job, a customer service approach and be willing to work in a team environment
- Hold a valid NYS driver’s license with a driving record acceptable to meet the University insurance standards
- Proficient mathematical skills
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Possess general knowledge of the campus layout and building locations
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse constituencies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills are required
- Must be able to function under stressful conditions and/or high volume with short turnaround
This shift includes weekends.Minimum Qualifications:
Experience, and Skills
High school diploma or equivalent and 1-year grounds experience.Preferred Qualifications:
Experience, and Skills
- Associates degree in related field
- Pesticide license
- Fork lift certified
- Pest control license
- Four (4) years grounds experience
- Light truck/vehicle operation
- Fork lift operation
- Equipment operation
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to have mobility sufficient to climb and descend ladders in a safe manner, and walk, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Dexterity sufficient to operate light and heavy duty cleaning equipment and other equipment utilized in the course of work. The ability to lift and move heavy items weighing up to 25 pounds on frequent basis and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds with assistance. Endurance sufficient to maintain routine discomfort from exposure to moderate levels of heat, cold and moisture. Other demands as required by specific position.
Clarkson is committed to complying with the guidelines set forth under the Americans with Disabilities Act.Posting Detail Information Close Date Open Date 02/15/2019 Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions for this Posting
Salary: $11.31 an hour
This position is full time and the shifts and days would be dependent on University needs.
This is a union position and will require successful drug test results.
Must hold a valid NYS driver’s license with a driving record acceptable to meet the University insurance standards.
Clarkson University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
All offers of employment are subject to the applicant successfully passing a background check (including, but not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, and criminal records).Reference Request Details Maximum Number of Reference Requests 3 Minimum Number of Reference Requests 1 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Academic Keys
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Clarkson Website
- Massena-Potsdam Courier Observer
- Hispanic Outlook
- IM Diversity
- Insight Into Diversity
- New York Job Bank
- North Country This Week
- St. Lawrence Plaindealer
- Veterans Administration
- Watertown Daily Times
- Ogdensburg Journal
- Employee Referral
- Alumni Referral
- Conference Referral
- Discipline specific journals
- Discipline specific website
- Times Union
- I do not wish to answer
- * What is the highest level of completed education that you currently hold?
- Highschool Diploma/GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- ABD (all but disertation)
- * Do you currently hold a valid drivers license?
- * Are you willing to work weekends?
- * How do you embrace Diversity?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1