Coordinator, Communication Design Program - Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor
Posting InformationPosting Information Position Title Coordinator, Communication Design Program - Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor Job Posting Number 20190063FAC Job Location San Marcos Department School of Art and Design Position Description
The School of Art and Design features many areas of study and offers five undergraduate programs — communication design, studio, photography, art education, and art history. It also offers an MFA program in communication design. Our programs are nationally and regionally recognized, including our BFA and MFA in communication design. We believe in fostering conceptual and technical abilities necessary for artistic expression, and our more than 80 diverse faculty members support this effort.
We are seeking a communication design educator, researcher, and BFA program coordinator to help lead our large and already successful area into an even more promising future by keeping pace with an ever-changing industry.
• Coordinate BFA Communication Design Program (course scheduling, program communication, curriculum, purchasing, personnel and general management).
• Teach at the BFA and/or MFA level as assigned by the Director.
• Pursue research/creative activity in relevant discipline and maintain a substantive record of professional/peer recognition.
• Engage in service to the school, college, university, community and profession.
Texas State University, an emerging research university, offers more than 200 undergraduate and post-graduate degrees through our nine academic colleges. Located in San Marcos, it is well situated between the vibrant design and technology communities in Austin and San Antonio.
Texas State University is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. The University strives to cultivate a diversity of people and ideas, a spirit of inclusiveness, a global perspective, and a sense of community as essential conditions for campus life (www.txstate.edu/about/mission). Women, members of minority and underrepresented groups, persons with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.Required Qualifications
• An MFA, MDes, or PhD degree in communication design, visual communication, graphic design or related discipline completed by date of hire.
• A record of successful college-level teaching in communication design
• A record of professional accomplishments in research/creative activity within the area of communication design.
• Leadership experience within academic, corporate/industry or community environments.
• Demonstrated engagement in service to school, college, university, community and/or profession.
• Knowledge of and experience with computer-mediated technologies and core software applications relevant to the communication design discipline (e.g., Macintosh OS, Adobe Creative Suite).
• Strong conceptual and formal design skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• To be eligible for hire at the associate professor rank, candidate must meet the requirements for that rank as established by the school. The successful applicant will receive the appropriate rank and title based on established university and school standards.
• In addition to the requirements for associate professor, appointment at the professor rank requires an extensive and sustained record of quality research as well as an outstanding record of service, and leadership that would qualify the candidate for tenure at Texas State.
• Demonstrated management experience (i.e., personnel, budgetary, scheduling, purchasing).
• Graduate-level research/thesis supervision and advising experience.
• Curriculum development for communication design.
• Successful funding procurement and grant activity.
• A record of full-time teaching experience.
• Online teaching experience.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity.
Only applications submitted through the Texas State University website will be accepted and considered, https://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/23617.
Application must include:
1. Letter of application stating how your experience and credentials fulfill the
requirements for this position (not to exceed two pages).
2. Curriculum vitae.
3. Up to 20 digital files (multi-page, single PDF) representing 10 of your creative works (may include time-based excerpts no longer than five minutes each).
4. Digital files (multi-page, single PDF) of 10 student works created under your direction.
5. An annotated list for both personal and student files. For personal work, state title, media, and date. For student work, provide course title, media, date, and assignment.
6. A statement addressing your current creative work in relationship to the future of the communication design discipline (one page maximum).
7. Contact information (e-mail address, phone numbers) for three current references.
Examples of web/video/animation/motion graphics must be listed as hyperlinks within the PDF file and link to portfolio web sites or video sharing sites such as Vimeo. Do not upload motion graphics files.
All correspondence regarding the search will be conducted via email. Please send any inquires to [email protected] and include job number #20190063FAC in all correspondence.
Search finalist will be asked to provide photocopies of graduate transcripts.
The candidate selected for hire will be required to provide official transcripts from all degree granting universities.Proposed Start Date Fall 2019 Open Date Review Date 12/03/2018 Close Date Open Until Filled? Yes Legal Notices
Texas State University, to the extent not in conflict with federal or state law, prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of any tobacco product will not be allowed anywhere on Texas State property or in university owned or leased vehicles.
Texas State University is a member of the Texas State University System. Texas State University is an EOE.
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Digital Files (Personal Creative Works)
- Digital Files (Students Work)
- Annotated List
- Statement of Artistic Philosophy
- List of References
- DD 214/DD1300
- Veteran's Preference