Head Equipment Manager
Head Equipment Manager Department: Athletics Date: 02/15/2019 POSITION VACANCY
Founded in 1813, Colby is one of America’s most selective colleges. Serving only undergraduates, Colby’s rigorous academic program is rooted in deep exploration of ideas and close interaction with world-class faculty scholars. Students pursue intellectual passions, choosing among 58 majors or developing their own. Independent and collaborative research, study abroad, and internships offer robust opportunities to prepare students for postgraduate success. Colby is home to a community of 2,000 dedicated and diverse students from around the globe. Its Maine location provides easy access to world-class research institutions and civic engagement experiences.
In a period of fast-paced progress, Colby is building on its strong foundation while remaining committed to excellence, to supporting students and faculty at the highest levels, and to the College’s deep liberal arts traditions. This new chapter includes the creation of innovative academic initiatives and partnerships, strengthening the connections between the liberal arts and the professional world, revitalizing downtown Waterville, and pursuing significant capital projects for performing arts and athletics. Colby invites applicants to apply for the position of:
HEAD EQUIPMENT MANAGER
Department of Athletics
Full-Time, Exempt, Salaried, Administrative Staff Appointment
The College has broken ground on the construction of a new, state-of-the-art athletics complex, scheduled to open in the fall of 2020, which is destined to be among the best Division III facilities in the country. The 350,000 square-foot athletics center will include an indoor track and field competition center, aquatic center with Maine’s first 50-meter pool, squash center, gymnasium, hockey arena, strength & fitness center, training rooms, and coaching suites. Additionally, the College recently opened a 70-acre-plus outdoor competition center that consists of three gleaming new competition and recreational fields that are also among the finest outdoor venues in Division III.
The Colby College Department of Athletics seeks a head equipment manager beginning March 15, 2019. This is a full-time year round appointment. The head equipment manager supports the Department of Athletics in all aspects of equipment management and supervises the assistant equipment manager and student workers assigned to the equipment room. Reporting to the associate director of athletics, this position supports the work and goals of the Department of Athletics and the College. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the diversity of our College, including its cultural and ethnic diversity.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the services and day-to-day operations of the Department of Athletics’ equipment room that has centralized responsibility for all athletic equipment purchases and inventory for all 32 varsity sports
- Evaluate and monitor effectiveness of services, policies, and procedures; identify problems and institute or recommend changes
- Update and improve policies and procedures to accommodate for future growth of operations
- Supervise and train other equipment room staff
- Determine work assignments and work schedules to accommodate the extended hours and complex scheduling of collegiate practices and sporting events
- Oversee the procurement of all athletic equipment and uniforms following evaluation of current equipment; utilize cost effective strategies
- Make decisions regarding the appropriateness of requested expenditures and authorize expenditures within broad guidelines
- Consult with head coaches on specific equipment needs while evaluating health and safety issues
- Provide guidance on uniforms and equipment material, style, and manufacturer
- Oversee the maintenance of a continuous inventory of all athletic equipment and conduct a seasonal equipment inventory for each assigned sport using appropriate, up-to-date inventory computer programs
- Adhere to College, state, and NCAA policies and procedures, including Title IX, regarding the issuance of equipment and services for all intercollegiate sports
- Ensure proper fitting and maintenance of all sports equipment including helmets and pads to provide a safe environment for student athletes
- Remain current with evolving safety standards that are necessary to reduce liability
- Coordinate laundry room operations for assigned sports to ensure that game uniforms, practice clothes, warm-up suits, etc., are laundered and ready for distribution to student-athletes on a daily basis or as needed
- Ensure the availability of equipment support for visiting teams and officials
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in education and experience
- Two years of experience in an NCAA college equipment services setting, including inventory control and purchasing preferred
- Certification by American Equipment Managers Association preferred
- Understanding of the standards issued by OSHA for exposure control for blood-borne pathogens
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations, as well as Title IX guidelines
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills with a high level of motivation
- Must be able to exercise judgment, and manage projects with minimal supervision as well as to adjust as new projects are assigned
- Familiarity with all types of athletic equipment and its proper use, fitting, and maintenance
- Working knowledge of computer programs and inventory software
- Ability to work irregular hours, holidays, and weekends
- Excellent communication, supervisory, and management skills are required
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with various constituents and stakeholders to make an impact as a member of a team and diverse community
- Proven skills to engage with students, coaches, administration and other community members in a fast-paced environment
This position has significant interactions with Department of Athletics’ team members and student athletes. Additionally, the position interacts with faculty, staff, students, alumni, vendors, and other outside constituencies.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform the essential functions. General office, athletic facility, and campus environment. The position requires work outside and in inclement weather with frequent early morning, evening, and weekend work required throughout the year with those dates determined by the athletic director. Position involves sitting, although frequent movement is necessary. Walking, standing, bending, twisting, and lifting up to 50 pounds is required. Computer usage involving repetitive hand/wrist motion is required.
Interested candidates should apply electronically by clicking the "Apply Now" button on the Colby College website. Please submit a letter of interest including salary requirements, resume, and the contact information of three professional references. Materials should be addressed to:
Head Equipment Manager - Search Committee
Office of Human Resources
5500 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901-8855
If you experience difficulty uploading your documents, you may submit any .doc or .pdf materials to [email protected] Please do not submit duplicate materials.To apply electronically send to [email protected]. If you choose to apply electronically you do not need to send duplicate copies by U.S. Mail. If your electronic materials are unreadable we will notify you promptly. A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Colby is a private, coeducational liberal arts college that admits students and makes employment decisions on the basis of the individual's qualifications to contribute to Colby's educational objectives and institutional needs. Colby College does not discriminate in its educational programs or employment on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, religion, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, or military or veteran’s status. Colby is an equal opportunity employer and operates in accordance with federal and state laws regarding non-discrimination. Colby complies with Title IX, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in an institution’s education programs and activities. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to Colby’s Title IX coordinator or to the federal Office of Civil Rights. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our college.
For more information about the College, please visit our web site: www.colby.edu.