Mathematics, Undergraduate School - Adjunct Faculty
Mathematics, Undergraduate School - Adjunct Faculty
Category: Adjunct Faculty
Requisition ID: 10007713
Mathematics and Statistics
The Undergraduate School
Location: Eglin AFB, FL and Tucson, AZ
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks adjunct faculty to teach, on site at Eglin AFB in Florida and in Tucson, AZ, in the Mathematics program. Specifically, we are seeking faculty for the following course:
STAT 200 - Introduction to Statistics: An introduction to statistics. The objective is to assess the validity of statistical conclusions; organize, summarize, interpret, and present data using graphical and tabular representations; and apply principles of inferential statistics. Focus is on selecting and applying appropriate statistical tests and determining reasonable inferences and predictions from a set of data. Topics include methods of sampling; percentiles; concepts of probability; probability distributions; normal, t-, and chi-square distributions; confidence intervals; hypothesis testing of one and two means; proportions; binomial experiments; sample size calculations; correlation; regression; and analysis of variance (ANOVA).
Required Education and Experience:
- Terminal degree preferred, Master's degree in Mathematics or related field from an accredited institution of higher learning required
- Professional experience in Mathematics, Statistics or related fields
- You must meet the minimum technology requirements, which can be reviewed athttps://www.umuc.edu/visitors/careers/facultyrecruit/upload/Adjunct-Faculty-Minimum-Technology-Requirements.pdf
- Experience teaching adult learners online and in higher education is strongly preferred.
- This position is specifically to teach in Tucson, AZ
Materials needed for submission
- Resume/ Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter highly preferred
- If selected, candidates with international degrees may be required to submit translation/ degree evaluation from a NACES approved Vendor.
Who We Are and Who We Serve
UMUC—one of 11 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM)—is a mission-driven institution with seven core values that guide us in all we do. At the top of the list is "Students First," and we strive to do just that for our 90,000 students at home and abroad. From its start in 1947, UMUC has demonstrated its commitment to adult learners. We recognize that adult students need flexibility and options. UMUC is proud to be a global, 24-hour, institution of higher learning.
The typical UMUC student is an adult learner juggling a career, family, and other priorities. Roughly 80% work full time, half are parents, and half are minority students. They are continuing their education to better themselves, their families, and their professional opportunities. UMUC is also a leading higher education provider to the U.S. military, enrolling 55,000 active-duty service members, reservists, National Guard members, veterans, and family members annually. We are proud of our military heritage and are committed to this service.
The Adjunct Faculty Role at UMUC
UMUC is committed to helping students achieve success not only with us, but also in their professional fields. As a result, we actively seek faculty members who are scholar-practitioners: professionals who are actively and successfully engaged in their field who additionally wish to help the next generation of professionals grow in their knowledge and expertise through education. Your role as an adjunct faculty member will be to:
• Actively engage students though frequent interaction that motivates them to succeed, and conveys a genuine energy and enthusiasm for their learning.
• Guide students in active collaboration and the application of their learning in problem- and project-based learning demonstrations.
• Provide rich and regular constructive feedback, utilizing rubrics effectively for the assessment of student work, and acknowledging student accomplishments.
• Demonstrate relevant and current subject-matter expertise, and help students connect concepts across their academic program.
• Provide feedback to your program chair on possible curricular improvements.
The Mathematics Program at UMUC
Please visit the following link to learn more about this program, including its description, outcomes, and coursework:
Faculty Training at UMUC
We are committed to your professional success at UMUC. Each new faculty member is required to successfully complete our online two-week new faculty orientation, FacDev 411, as a condition of hire.
Position Available and will Remain Open until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Adjunct faculty candidates will be required to provide official transcripts during the candidate selection process.
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.