Feb 14, 2019
Pratt Institute is a global leader in higher education dedicated to preparing its 5,000 undergraduate and graduate students for successful careers in art, design, architecture, information and library science, and liberal arts and sciences. We are seeking a Legal Specialist to join the Legal Affairs team at the Brooklyn Campus.The Legal Specialist reports to the Director of Legal Affairs. This position has access to highly sensitive, confidential information involving the entire spectrum of the institute’s legal affairs, including collective bargaining and must maintain absolute discretion at all times.
- Coordinating contract in-take and basic review, including communication with campus departments regarding inquiries about the review process and status of contracts, and maintenance of a database which tracks proposed contracts from revision to execution.
- Consultation with the Director of Legal Affairs, the Vice President for Finance, the Director of Risk Management and departments and faculty regarding various contracts. Contracts include Government and Corporate grants, Internship agreements, Contractor/Vendor agreements, real property and lease agreements.
- Preparing, editing and managing a variety of materials including presentations, correspondence, reports and forms. Create detailed PowerPoint presentations and draft correspondence, memorandum and other documents.
- Assisting the Director of Legal Affairs in intake and organizing immigration petitions, preparation of filings, submissions, tracking deadlines, communication with employee and department, etc.
- Coordinating the Institution’s response to administrative agency code violations and other similar matters, including NYC OATH hearings, securing evidence of remediation; scheduling and representation at hearings (via phone or in-person), as necessary and appropriate.
- Organizing response to requests for documents and other information related to litigation and other legal actions; organizing and maintaining legal documents and files; preparation of legal documents; support the Institution’s response to legal matters; serve as liaison to Institute employees and departments re: gathering preservation of information and documents
- Providing administrative support to the Director of Legal Affairs (e.g. scheduling meetings and phone calls, digital and paper filing, preparing meeting materials and reports, etc.)
- Conducting research on relevant laws, regulations, and legal articles; Fact and citation checking and proofreading.
- Special projects, assignments and other duties as directed.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor’s Degree (certificate in paralegal studies or other legal education/training strongly preferred).
At least three (3) years of experience in a legal environment (i.e. law firm, in-house legal counsel, regulatory agency, etc.); higher education experience strongly preferred.
Please submit your cover letter and resume. If you are selected for an interview, please be prepared to provide at least 5 References via our on-line reference tool system. At least 2 of your References must be, or have been, your direct managers.