Systems Administrator 2
Systems Administrator 2
Job Number: 81856
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Founded in 1891, Stanford University is among the top academic institutions in the country, excelling in a wide range of fields from the humanities to information technology to the health sciences and medicine. The university is located near Palo Alto, 35 miles south of San Francisco, on an 8,800-acre campus.
Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. The Department has an annual operating budget of over $270 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, and provides housing for over 13,000 students and dependents, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 300,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. Additionally, R&DE comprises 735 FTE staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology and Communications.
R&DE Information Technology consists of 26 full and part-time staff. The department is organized into six teams: CIO office, Portfolio and Project Management Office, Applications Development, Support Services, Security, and Systems & Operations. R&DE IT supports over 65 applications and integrations, 2,200 technology assets, and 900+ users. In addition to providing excellence in everything they do, R&DE IT is dedicated to the mission and core values of Residential & Dining Enterprises.
The R&DE IT System Administrator is a member of the R&DE IT Systems & Operations Team, reporting to the Manager of Systems & Operations, and uses his/her technical knowledge to develop, install, configure, optimize, and maintain integrity of the servers and infrastructure environment. The Team interfaces with R&DE teams, campus partners and vendors to ensure high performance and availability of existing systems, to launch new systems, and to explore emerging technologies. We align workflows and priorities with the overall goals of R&DE and we aim to be accountable for the quality of our work. We are results oriented, and we embrace organizational and technology change in making our contribution to the R&DE vision of excellence.
The R&DE IT System Administrator will have a significant role in service delivery, and will need to consider the reliability and security of the computing environment and the needs of the R&DE community to be among their highest priorities. They will demonstrate experience in managing performance and storage in a VMware environment; they will apply their expertise in Windows and Mac Server operating systems, Linux distributions, physical and logical networks, Active Directory, enterprise database management, information security, and desktop and endpoint management. They are committed to deepening their knowledge and skillset through professional development activities, they display careful attention to detail and they are equally comfortable working as a member of a team or individually.
“Students (Customers) First” is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE, “Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.”
Under general direction, develop, install, configure, optimize, and maintain integrity of the operating system environment.
- Manage 100+ VMs in production, test and development environments for 60+ applications, including the development and use of automated recurring tasks for server patching and vulnerability remediation.
- Ensure the security and reliability of the R&DE Virtual Environment, and compliance with Stanford University Information Security Office requirements, through the use and optimization of tools and applications such as CarbonBlack, Qualys, and BigFix.
- Manage access to R&DE applications and systems through Active Directorys, GPOs, Stanford's 2FA solution and Stanford workgroups.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of R&DE IT through KPI monitoring and analysis.
- Build, install, configure, analyze, tune, and troubleshoot operating systems to achieve optimum performance levels.
- Resolve difficult system problems and provide consultation or training.
- Configure and assist in the design of system and network security.
- Manage hardware, software, and utilities for installation, modification, troubleshooting, maintenance, and upgrades of operating systems and workstation environments.
- Monitor and analyze resource usage to recommend/develop enhancements to system capabilities and performance.
- Compare, evaluate, implement new technologies, and integrate systems into the computing environment.
- Document systems infrastructure for users, support and consulting personnel, and developers.
- Train personnel who provide support and consulting services to users.
- Act as liaison with various departments across campus.
- Facilitate vendor relationships.
- * - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience or
- Combination of education and relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with multiple types of operating systems or expert knowledge in one.
- Experience with managing an integrated computing environment.
- Knowledge of multiple programming languages for system development.
- Experience with networked environments.
- Experience with network storage solutions.
- Experience with configuring and maintaining routers.
- Demonstrated knowledge of security protocols.
- Ability to manage shared resources and perform moderately complex tasks.
- Ability to work well independently and as a team member.
- Ability to train to others in applications and operating system fundamentals.
- Experience with middleware and infrastructure.
- MS Windows Server Training and/or Certification required
- ITIL v3 Foundations preferred
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk, twist/bend/stoop/squat, reach/work above shoulders, sort/file paperwork or parts, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Rarely kneel/crawl, climb (ladders, scaffolds, or other, grasp forcefully, use a telephone, writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh 21>40 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Exposed to high voltage electricity, noise >80dB TWA, confined spaces, hot temperatures, heavy metals.
- Extended hours and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
"Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job."
Location: Residential & Dining Enterprises, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency