Director of Campus Safety
Illinois Wesleyan University (IWU) invites applications for the full time, exempt position of Director of Campus Safety. Using a community policing philosophy, the Director provides leadership and supervision for comprehensive campus crime prevention, safety and emergency preparedness initiatives (strategies, policies, procedures, and programs). This includes, but is not limited to, supervising a 24/7 campus security operation, campus crime prevention and investigation, educational outreach regarding safety programs for students, faculty and staff, and state and federal policy compliance and reporting.
- Manages Campus Safety Officers, administrative personnel including communications officers/dispatch, and student employees. Performs security officer responsibilities, as needed
- Conducts campus crime investigations in collaboration with the Associate Dean of Students. Assigns and assists officers in investigating complaints from constituents as needed
- Supervises safety programs and outreach, including Titan Transport, a safe-escort program
- Ensures compliance with all applicable state and federal laws, rules and regulations related to campus safety; prepares the Clery Crime Report annually and other reports as required; maintains required records
- Develops emergency preparedness exercises and training opportunities for faculty and staff including the emergency response team’s annual table top exercise
- Represents or coordinates Campus Safety participation in several campus committees: Sexual Assault Prevention Task Force, Alcohol Task Force, Campus Safety Committee, Physical Plant Coordination meeting, Emergency Response Team, and others as needed
- Develops and administers departmental budget
- Provides leadership for safety-related technology needs including radios, software (for tracking parking tickets, incident reports, etc.), camera monitoring systems, building access and any other apps needed to promote campus safety
- Stimulates and nurtures relationships with local law enforcement agencies and emergency personnel
- Ten years with progressive experience in safety, law enforcement, risk prevention or related work.
- Exhibits leadership skills as evidenced in decision-making, problem-solving, and has the ability to create a clear vision for the department
- Has relationship building skills as evidenced in teambuilding, supervision, collaboration, and responsiveness and visibility within the campus community
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality customer service and respect for diversity
- Possesses effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Demonstrates attention to details and policy as required for federal and state reporting requirements
- Possesses technology skills as evidenced in understanding of the safety-related technology systems including Adirondack, CSGold, and other database management tools
- Has ability to walk campus
- Is able to pass DMV check and has valid IL driver’s license
- Hearing ability to answer radio calls and respond to emergency messaging
- Lives within 30 miles of Bloomington/Normal
Please send a cover letter, resume and the contact information for three professional references to Human Resources. Within your cover letter, please indicate how you learned of this opening. The University is committed to an environment of diversity and inclusion. Please feel free to share any opportunities you have had in collaborating in a diverse, multicultural and inclusive setting. Review of applications will begin March 11, 2019, and continue until the position is filled.
Illinois Wesleyan University
Human Resources, Holmes 209
1312 N. Park Street
Bloomington, IL 61701
Email: [email protected]
The final candidate will pass a pre-employment background investigation.
Illinois Wesleyan University’s sexual misconduct policy may be accessed at www.iwu.edu/human-resources/SexualMisconductPolicy.html. Illinois Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusive excellence; details at www.iwu.edu/diversity.