Life Science Research Professional 1
Life Science Research Professional 1
Job Number: 81780
Stanford University is seeking a Life Science Research Professional 1 to perform basic functions and activities involved in defined research projects, and independently conduct and analyze experiments.
About the Department of Pathology
Comprised of extraordinary faculty and staff, our mission is to improve the diagnosis, treatment and basic understanding of human disease. We accomplish this through our clinical services, research, and training the future leaders in pathology and related fields. A major focus of clinical research in the Department continues to be the correlation of patient outcome and treatment response with the surgical pathologic diagnosis of human cancers. Everything we do is to provide the highest quality of pathology diagnostic services to the patients for whom we passionately care.
For more information about the department visit http://pathology.stanford.edu/
About the Position
An LSRP position is available in the Costa group in the Departments of Pathology & of Biomedical Data Science at Stanford University. Our group uses a range of molecular and cellular biology techniques to develop tumor genome profiling experimental methods using next-generation sequencing platforms for validation and deployment in research and clinical diagnostic lab settings. Additionally, we are developing high-throughput CRISPR tissue culture screens to assess genetic variant pathogenicity in cell line models to inform patient management and care. We are looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated individual who is highly organized and who possesses the social skills to interact with a wide range of clinical and scientific staff. The LSRP will be involved in defined research projects and will be responsible for independently conducting experiments and analyzing data. The position also includes lab management tasks such as ordering supplies, maintaining detailed lab records, and adhering to safety regulations.
We welcome candidates who aspire to graduate/medical school. Ideally, they will be looking to further their career by learning and adopting new research skill-sets. A growth mindset and a willingness to take on challenging learning opportunities will be sought out traits.
In addition to comparable research compensations, candidates will have the opportunity to learn and to develop their C.V. or resume through research publications and presentations.
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students on lab procedures or techniques.
*- Other duties may also be assigned
- Experience in a biomedical research laboratory desired.
- Previous experience with next-generation sequencing library preparation
- Previous experience with tissue culture
- Previous experience with CRISPR editing of cell lines
- Knowledge of basic techniques in molecular biology
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance is essential.
- Must be accurate, efficient, organized, have excellent record keeping abilities
- Ability to work with team members in a cooperative fashion, and have excellent communication skills.
- Be highly motivated and work well both independently and in a team setting
- Independent thought, strong analytical skills and excellent judgement
- Excellent written/verbal communication
- Excellent time management skills
- Proficiency with command-line tools and bioinformatics would be an asset.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance. Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES:
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
Location: School of Medicine, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency