Life Science Research Professional 1
Life Science Research Professional 1
Job Number: 81766
Job Code: 4945
Job Grade: E
The Department of Genetics at Stanford University seeks a Life Science Research Professional I (LSRP) to join William Greenleaf's lab, focusing on new, high-throughput technology for biochemistry and chromatin biology. The LSRP will be an integral member of a diverse and interdisciplinary research team determined to transform the study of biomolecular interactions and cellular epigenomes. Current priorities include exhaustive profiling and biophysical modeling of sequence landscapes for DNA binding proteins, and characterization of newly discovered and engineered CRISPR enzymes. Other projects in the lab include building a genome-level human cell atlas of gene expression and DNA accessibility and improving single-cell genomic technologies. More broadly, the Greenleaf lab joins the rest of the Genetics department in crafting sequencing- and big data-driven answers to longstanding questions regarding the physical basis of gene regulation and cellular differentiation.
A successful future member of the lab will be a team player ready to be organized, solve problems, and communicate his/her findings effectively. We invite motivated, creative, and reliable individuals to apply to join us in our highly collaborative, cutting-edge research at the forefront of modern biology.
Specific tasks include being trained for and performing a technique newly developed in the Greenleaf lab - massively parallel filter binding - and maintaining and expanding the constituent equipment as needed. The LSRP will also be expected to contribute their own ideas and techniques to the lab and attend lab meetings and journal clubs.
Other duties include:
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students on lab procedures or techniques.
- Bachelor's degree in Bioengineering, Genetics, Biochemistry, or Molecular Biology.
- Experience with general molecular biology techniques, such as PAGE, PCR, qPCR, etc.
- Experience performing and analyzing experiments independently for a scientific publication.
- Experience with tissue culture.
- Familiarity with CRISPR/Cas9.
- Experience with high-throughput sequencing methods.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
- Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Location: School of Medicine, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency