Open Rank Faculty Position in Immersive Design
Open Rank Faculty Position in Immersive Design
Feb 5, 2019
The Department of Arts and Entertainment Technologies in the School of Design and Creative Technologies at The University of Texas at Austin (UT) seeks a faculty colleague with a focus in Immersive Design for experiential storytelling and themed entertainment. We encourage applications from both academics and seasoned practitioners eager to join a team of whole-hearted collaborators in reinventing arts and entertainment education for the twenty-first century. Salary is competitive; rank is commensurate with experience.
With the support of College of Fine Arts leadership, we are creating cross disciplinary coursework and curriculum for video games, new performance technologies, interactive visualization, and immersive design. Course development and teaching responsibilities in our fast-growing programs include the following:
- Leadership, development, and instruction of courses and programs in immersive design, digital experience design, experiential storytelling, and visual programming environments.
- Courses may include: AET345E Design Skills: Digital Experience, AET 348E Design Skills: Themed Entertainment, AET 326J Realtime Animation Techniques, AET 335D Realtime Visualization.
- Participate in the administrative and student service activities of the department, including development of new curricula, student advising, and collaborative projects.
The candidate will hold a terminal degree (M.A., MFA, Ph.D.) in design, media arts, architecture or applied computing, or demonstrate equivalent professional experience; have a record of at least two (2) years of university teaching; professional/industrial work experience in a broad range of integrated media and digital environments with demonstrated professional experience in experiential storytelling, theme parks, or immersive experience setting.
Candidates for this position must:
- have a strong portfolio of recent work which demonstrates immersive design such as themed entertainment, mixed reality applications, experiential storytelling, and/or live interactive events.
- be proficient in industry-standard software and workflows.
- have earned a terminal degree in their field, ORdemonstrate equivalent professional experience
- have a record of working productively and collegially with people of diverse disciplines, ranks, races, ethnicities, nationalities, gender identities, sexual orientations, ages, and abilities.
We are particularly interested in candidates who:
- are practicing immersive design.
- have a record of successful collaboration across disciplines.
- have experience teaching both structured skill building courses and research driven collaborative courses.
- have experience developing new courses and curricula for future trends in arts and entertainment.
- can demonstrate (through degrees earned, portfolio of work, or writings) expertise in a field complementary to immersive design such as video games, architecture, mixed reality, or themed entertainment.
- can demonstrate engagement with one or more of the following areas:
- design for inclusion
- design research
- immersive design community activities
To apply for the position, please submit the following to Interfolio at: http://apply.interfolio.com/60187
- A letter of application explaining your qualifications for, and interest in, the position;
- A curriculum vitae (CV) or professional résumé;
- A link to or pdf of your portfolio of recent work;
- Contact information for three references (letters will be requested only for finalists).
Application deadline is May 31, 2019 or until filled.
Questions about the application process and Interfolio may be directed to SDCT Executive Assistant, Cameron Weed at [email protected].
If you are excited about the possibilities of working in the School of Design and Creative Technologies, but don’t fit this particular job description, please see our open call for faculty at https://apply.interfolio.com/54754.
The Department of Arts and Entertainment Technologies (AET)
In 2017 the AET program at UT, combined forces with the recently created Department of Design, the Center for Integrated Design, and the Design Institute for Health to form the new School of Design and Creative Technologies (SDCT). AET is a rapidly growing department seeking to expand industry engagement and student opportunities.
The University of Texas at Austin (UT)
The University of Texas at Austin is a flagship, comprehensive research university of over 50,000 students that is routinely ranked in the top 50 universities globally by U.S. News and World Report, Times Higher Education, and the Center for World University Rankings. UT is located in Austin, the capital of Texas, a city justly renowned for its vibrant cultural life and its thriving creative and tech industries. Austin is routinely included in top-ten lists of best US cities for new college grads, for young professionals, for future job growth, and for outdoor activities, urban forests, and family friendliness.