Executive Director, Career Services
Job location: University Campus
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-01-24
Job Description SummaryUnder the general direction of the Vice President of Student Affairs, the Executive Director of Career Services provides strategic leadership for a Career Services team responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating career focused systems, programs and events that connect employers with all Saint Leo University students and alumni. The Executive Director of Career Services will oversee the university’s efforts in career counseling, career development, career connections for internships and employment, and employer development and relationships. The Executive Director must be an exemplary strategic implementer with strong relationship building skills and work ethic.
***Review of applicants will begin February 4, 2019. The job posting will remain active until the Executive Director is hired.***Job Description
Duties & Tasks
- Creates, collaborates and executes a strategic vision for career services to include the development and implementation of long-term strategic plans, and short-term operational plans
- Develops and maintains employer outreach programs to increase the number and quality of employers and internship opportunities for students across all divisions (University Campus & WorldWide)
- Oversees and monitors the development and retention of relationships with external partners for the purpose of externships/internships and job potential of graduates.
- Works in a collaborative, open, and transparent manner with other units within the Saint Leo University community with a special focus on faculty relationships in order to enhance career opportunities for students
- Promotes services, programs, and resources to internal and external stakeholders including students, faculty, staff, employers, and alumni through the use of marketing including networking, brand management, social media, technology, professional presentations and print collateral
- Monitors, analyzes and evaluates current scope of services offered through career services and plans, implements and directs new programs under the supervision of the Vice President of Student Affairs.
- Responsible for fiscal planning and management for career services, including all operations and staffing matters
- Serves as a primary liaison between the university, its students and alumni, and potential employers on a state, regional, national and international scale
- Engages in professional associations and community activities to promote the objectives of the university and Career Services
- Manages Career Services staff including administrative meetings, trainings and professional development
- Provides leadership to the staff, motivating the team to reach beyond traditional responsibilities, and ways of operating.
- Oversees and continually improves the on and off campus recruitment and interviewing processes as well as resume referral and job listing services for current students and alumni
- Coordinates communication with deans, department chairs, and other faculty to ensure the career services team is meeting the needs of the academic colleges and departments.
- In collaboration with other departments, surveys graduates and employers to ensure programs meet or exceed current job market and employer needs and to track graduate and alumni careers
- Leads the coordination of career fair and internship in person and virtual events delivered in a capacity to support the entire Saint Leo community throughout the globe.
- Creates and maintains frequent communication with World Wide staff to ensure the needs of all students are met.
- Participates in professional organizations and provides professional development opportunities for Career Services team.
- Leverages technology to enhance networking and connections for employers, students and alumni.
- Works collaboratively with other units in the university to ensure accurate and complete alumni database records, capture contact, biographical and career information of alumni surveys.
- Adheres to and is an advocate for the university’s core values of Personal Development, Responsible Stewardship, Integrity, Community, Excellence, and Respect
- Serve as an active and engaged member of the leadership team for the Division of Student Affairs which may include university and division responsibilities
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Master’s degree required preferably in Student Affairs, Higher Education, Counseling or a related field
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in career services at a college or university required but preferring significant leadership experience in career services at a college or university with experience serving adult students and those learning at a distance or online
- Excellent oral, written and analytical skills
- Outstanding in person and online presentation skills
- Strong marketing skills including brand management and use of technology
- Ability to build relationships and partnerships with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Ability to manage interpersonal communication in a team environment
- Ability to balance many tasks and responsibilities simultaneously
- Ability to develop and implement creative and innovative programs and services in a timely way
The work environment characteristics described here are a representation of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office and University, handle various type of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Saint Leo University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success.